Brett in RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadozen

Reaction score
Tried my hands at an RIS and it's stuck.
Recipe
Nicoles RIS-2

Recipe specifics:

Style: Imperial Stout

Batch size: 3.5 gal

Boil volume: 4.0 gal

OG: 1.091

FG: 1.023

Bitterness (IBU): 73.2

Color (SRM): 82.3

ABV: 9.0%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Maris Otter Malt, 50.0%

3.30 lb Dark LME, 27.5%

1.00 lb Black Patent (British), 8.3%

0.70 lb Roasted Barley, 5.8%

0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (British), 4.2%

0.50 lb Crystal 120L, 4.2%

Hops:

2.00 oz Northern Brewer (AA 7.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 52.9 IBU

1.00 oz Northern Brewer (AA 7.0%, Pellet) 30 min, 20.3 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

English Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

Wyeast 1318

Batch Notes:

Og 1.083
Brewed 12/13

Sample 12/30:
1/13

-----

I made a 4 liter starter, got great activity 8 goes later. If this isn't just me being impatient I'd like to know if I can pitch some brett. I was planning on using the better bottle its in for brett and sour beers after u racked it out of there anyway. If brett would work what strain? If no on brett what other funky/sour options do I got here?

I wouldn't pitch brett yet, if that wasn't what you were after. First, a couple of questions:

This was a PM? What temp did you mash your Maris Otter? Fermentation temp? Aeration method? Temp now?

The answer will really depend on whether you really want to sour/brett this.

I mashed at 152, ferm temp was 66-68. I aerated by shaking the hell out of the carboy for like 5 minutes right now it's at 68-70.
When I first got this going brett was a fall back idea I had if it got stuck

How sure are you that it is stuck? Maybe it's just done?

I'm worried that with the high ibu and the percentage of roasted malt, the brett may dry it out too much and you'll get a very bitter, astringent beer.

What about maybe some champagne yeast or a belgian yeast to finish it instead?

I like the idea of the belgian yeast versus champagne yeast based on nothing substantial. Any particular yeast strain?

I like the idea of the belgian yeast versus champagne yeast based on nothing substantial. Any particular yeast strain?

Given the IBUs, I definitely wouldn't sour it. If you want to dry it out, I would do one of two things.

1.) Dissolve about 1/2 lb of table sugar and 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient in a pint or so of water and boil like you would priming sugar. You can add it directly, or rack the beer onto it. A lot of times, this will get the yeast active and drop a few points. I've gotten a 10 point drop with this.

2.) Pitch a pack of wyeast 3711 or Danstar Belle Saison. This will get you the drop you're looking for and may add some nice complimentary esters along the way, although probably not a lot as a secondary fermenter. I've been meaning to do a RIS using this yeast for some time now. Making a small starter will help overcome the fact that you'll pitch it into non-oxygenated beer.

Good luck!

I've heard of success pitching San Diego Super Yeast, that brought a 1.040s stalled RIS to 1.020s in about a week.

Given the IBUs, I definitely wouldn't sour it. If you want to dry it out, I would do one of two things.

Brett won't make it sour and isn't inhibited by IBUs.

You could throw brett in but I would advice picking up a vial of WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast and pitching that in, I've fixed several stuck fermentations this way.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll pick up the 3711 or the Danstar and give that a try. If it doesn't work, oh well, I'll just have to tweak it and try again

Latest posts

Back