Brewers Best oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCarolinaN8

Reaction score
How would I change a Brewers Best Oatmeal Stout kit into a coffee stout? I seen that someone added a cold brew. But how much would yall suggest?

I do it by adding cold brewed coffee after fermentation has ended, by buddy adds it before bottling.

When you are ready to bottle draw off 12 ounces of beer, before adding the priming sugar. Add one teaspoon of cold brewed coffee, taste. Add a second teaspoon, and so on, until you have the coffee flavor desired. Calculate the volume of coffee you will need for the volume being bottled.

I would be conservative. The coffee flavor may be more pronounced after bottle conditioning.

I have (twice) brewed a strongish pot of coffee, cooled it and added it to the bottling bucket with good results.

I was going for in-your-face coffee flavor and achieved it.

I did some canvasing of the forum last month to add coffee to a Porter. I was given lots of methods. The one I decided on was to add whole beans to the fermenter.

I added 1 ounce of whole beans to 2.5 gallons 6 days before bottling. I was very surprised to find the sample tasted excellent at bottling. I have yet to have a bottle yet; I have one in the fridge cooling right now and will be trying it later.

From what I understand, steeping the coffee cold, draws the flavor as it it very soluble in water, but does not get the astringency you get from hot coffee, making for a smoother overall flavor. As I said I only had the hydrometer sample at bottling, but I was impressed.

EDIT: Just had the beer I mentioned. Tastes great, lots of coffee flavor. However, the beer also has Oak, Rum, Vanilla, and smoke. The coffee seems to be one of the dominant flavors coming thru.

Cold brew only. Added before bottling if you want to strong. Let age in secondary if you want it to mellow. I would start with 4 oz of coffee cold brewed and then move up from there

I cold steeped 4 oz decaf espresso, into a 5 gallon batch of stout into bottling bucket. It didn't seem to be enough, so I quick rinsed the 4 oz of coffee I originally used and added that to my bottling bucket. Wow! Great! Amazing!, NOT! Icky, it was awful after a month in the bottle. You could have used it for ice cream syrup. Ugh! This is my personal opinion, and some people may really dig an over the top coffee stout. The bummer for me is, if a beer tastes like coffee even in the least, I don't want to drink it.

Back