Brewpastor's Dawn of a New Day Imperial Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Another recipe in the works...

I want to try the new Delta Leaf hops. I also want to try my new hop screen in combination with my whirlpool chiller as an in-kettle hopback. Further, I want to try a new idea I have for a home hop torpedo (such as SN created). So I am looking for balanced bitterness in per portion to a German Pilsner, with significant hop aroma from the kettle/whirlpool/hopback addition and the torpedo dry hops.

Please pass along thoughts, ideas and impressions for this work in process.

[size=+2]Dawn of a New Day Imperial Pilsner[/size]
[size=+1]23-A Specialty Beer[/size]

Size: 22 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 232.7 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.070 (1.026 - 1.120)
|===============#================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (0.995 - 1.035)
|================#===============|
Color: 5.59 (1.0 - 50.0)
|=========#======================|
Alcohol: 6.88% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|=============#==================|
Bitterness: 59.7 (0.0 - 100.0)
|=================#==============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
60.0 lb Pilsner Malt
250 g Delta Leaf (6.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
100 g Delta Leaf (6.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
100 g Delta Leaf (6.5%) - steeped after boil
100 g Delta Leaf (6.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.1[/size]

I did not specify the yeast because I haven't settled on that. I hope to simply use yeast from one of the local micros and make it easy on myself.

Looks very nice, but going by how my similar Pils/Spalt Select Double Pilsner turned out, over-bittering is not really possible in this style. My 74 IBU by Rager feels more balanced like an Urquell than breathtaking like a Bitburger, though it might have been more impactful had the beer finished drier or more acidic.

14lbs of Pils gave a 1.071 OG, double decoction 140-154-167ºF, 1.016 FG. A more aggressive strain than 2308 would have chomped down further.

Yeast farts are nice, but I usually force carb. :D

Looks like a delicious experiment! I haven't tried them, but the Fuggles/Cascade character of Delta could produce an interesting ESB/IPA hoppiness for a Pilsner. But 22 gallons worth? I am less of a risk taker... Care to share any details/pics on your hopback and torpedo?

I have no idea what delta hops will bring to the table. Sounds really interesting to me.

I've been brewing with them off and on over the last year or so (got a couple pounds last year from a grower before they had the "Delta" trade name- just a number). My experience could be described as milder, spicy cascade. I haven't found a recipe yet where they really pop, but a pilsner could certainly work.

I've been brewing with them off and on over the last year or so (got a couple pounds last year from a grower before they had the "Delta" trade name- just a number). My experience could be described as milder, spicy cascade. I haven't found a recipe yet where they really pop, but a pilsner could certainly work.

Any earthiness from the fuggles parentage?

I like cascades and willamette together in late additions in APA, so I wondered if delta had any of the slight earthy character? If so, that would be an excellent hop variety for me to try!

A "milder spicy cascade" sounds great in a pilsner, though!

That is the question: will it work in a pilsner? It is a shot in the dark, but I believe a reasonable one. But I am not certain and thus have posted this thread. Any additional thought on the use of Delta hops?

I have also considered upping the OG a bit, but hesitate. I don't want this to be too big. Again, I am looking for input.

I did and it is very nice. The Deltas give it a unique and pleasant character, but I would not use the same hopping schedule. I would eliminate the 20 minute and the dry hops.

Latest posts

Back