bulk beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelli

Reaction score
hi,
im looking for a bulk/cheaper way to buy yeast

are there any brewers yeast supplement people use, that are not sterilised?

we mostly brew ales, in southern qld australia, so sub tropical... also ciders, so champagne yeast other suggestions

i dont know how to re-use yeast, so if this is simple...

thanks

Are you asking about liquid yeast or dry yeast?

Dry yeast isn't going to need any supplements if you are able to pitch it in enough quantity dry. If you are having to build starters from one packet to get the needed amount to pitch, then you may as well be using liquid yeast or saving yeast.

But for me, that's a lot of fiddly work I don't want to do. So I just buy the dry yeast in the needed quantity. I don't find it too exorbitant on the price and it transports and stores much better and for way longer than liquid yeast.

Subtropical. What are your ambient temps you keep the fermenter in? You probably can use most any ale yeast. If you are wanting to make lagers, you'd need some control of the temperatures in the FV.

i dont know how to re-use yeast, so if this is simple...
It is simple. When you empty the beer from the fermenter you leave behind a trub which contains proteins and yeast. Leave a little beer on top of it, add a bit of water and swirl it up. Then capture it in (previously) sanitized jars, probably half pint size. There should be enough yeast in that material you scooped up to make a further 4 batches of beer.

Put the lid on the jar and screw it tight, then back it off half a turn. That lets any trapped CO2 escape.

Back