Bulk grain buying Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
I will soon be making my first bulk grain buy (from North/Mid Country Malt). Does it really matter which maltster I buy from, or will I be pleased with any of them? I am looking to get mostly a basic 2 row, and maybe a bag of Maris Otter. I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I also don't want my beer to suffer because I didn't spend the extra couple of dollars.

Also, what do you guys do about specialty malts? Just buy by the pound, or try split with someone else? (Who needs 55 pounds of black patent?)

Thanks in advance.

Canadian 2-row is the cheapest. I as well as most of our buying group buy this and all of them as well as myself keep ordering more. As far as I know none of my group is so impoverished that this is by necessity.:D

Hi Brewenstein, I'm sure that some people prefer different maltsters, but Mid Country wouldn't carry bad product.

For what it's worth, I've been buying bags of organic Gambrinus malt from Mid Country and have been happy.

I buy specialty grains separately. Although you could make your own crystal and roasted malts from your base malt. There's threads here about it.

If you need any wheat, pilsner or munich, I'd be happy to sell you some at cost from my last bulk buy.

Cheers!

I use 2 row and Maris Otter.
2 row for bold beers where specialty malts dominate the flavor.
MO for the light and amber ales where its goodness can come through.

I buy specialty malts in 1, 2 or 5 pound sacks from a home brew supply.

Latest posts

Back