Burning down the house (or keeping the kettle from the counter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopherbailey

Reaction score
I have most of what I need to brew my first ever batch, but I have a wee problem: when the landlord installed the stove, it was done below the level of the counter. (see photo 2)

I have tried to pull the (gas) stove away from the wall to raise all four feet under the stove but I fear the pipes are too tight.

I would prefer to avoid involving the landlord.

I would also prefer not to get a propane burner so if I want to do this on my stove, can I getaway with a ring to raise it? (see photo 3)

I bought the boil kettle thinking I might do all grain down the road so it's large in width (14.5") and volume (42qt) but not a super tall pot.

I've been in one house fire, I don't want to be in another so ... thoughts?

TIA,1
Christopher

EDITED TO ADD: Can't use left burners, wall too close (see picture 1)

12786851415_5995578b5b_z.jpg

12786806173_1c5812393f_z.jpg

12787162024_988f438171_z.jpg

Does it have a bottom drawer?
If so remove it and have somebody lift up the back of the oven while you reach your hand underneath to raise the leveling leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The gas line should be long enough to pull the stove out for servicing. It should be. Doesn't mean it was connected properly.
As gpitrone says, take out the bottom drawer to reach the levelers. If that is not enough use some blocks of 2x6 or 2x4.

Is the concern lifting the kettle off the burner or the burner hitting the counter? If it's the latter, that's a fire hazard and you should involve the landlord.

What hello said. If you have a basic fire hazard before brewing, that is something that is a concern to your safety as well as your landlords property. Either level it yourself or call the landlord now. Whoever did that was an idiot.

Even if you get the height corrected, as it should, I seriously doubt that single burner can heat that pot full of wort. Even 5 gallons may be pushing it.

Do you have an electric dryer outlet somewhere? Those are 240V, 30A typically, and you can connect a 240V 3500W induction plate to it. That is a great alternative as long as your new kettle is magnetic.

The smaller 120V, 1800W induction plates will boil smaller amounts but not 7-8 gallons.

3500W induction plate thread

I wouldn't even cook dinner on that thing. Way to close to the wall, and that counter could easily catch fire.

Many appliances have feet that can rotate to lift and level the unit. Have you examined the bottom of the stove for these?

you need to do 1 gallon batches or get a different burner. That burner will not cut it even if you don't burn your house down it wont boil that much water in any reasonable amount of time.

I'd call the landlord to come out and fix it. Cooking anything on that could is a serious hazard.

Adding a flex hose from after the gas valve to the stove should give you all the distance you need to raise it up as much as you need. If it were me I'd make the landlord do it anyway just because it's a hazard for any large pot, but may not mention the brewing.
To comment on the burner situation, straddle the kettle over both burners and run them together and you'll be just fine to brew. Won't be perfect and will definitely take longer, but everyone starts with limitations in budget, space, desire, etc... I started this way and very successfully did 15-20 5 gallon extract batches before moving to a propane burner for maybe 10 batches, and then went electric all grain. Looking back, the propane burner was a waste of money in my situation.

Latest posts

Back