California Cancer Warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because laws; laws interpreted very literally.

If it meets California standards for potentially causing cancer, they slap a label on it.

I've said it before, California should ban making babies. Life causes death, so if you don't make babies, at some point, there won't be any more deaths in CA.

what about the vegans and the animals? before this gets deleted....as a response....

edit: and i made a post of the same caliber, about the warning on my tank of oxygen.....so they're on the right track...

It seems to me that CA has a higher rate of vegan babies. If you ban making babies, in the long term, there will be less animal deaths. Whether or not the pre-baby ban produces non-vegans.

i was just thinking that the vegans don't want the animals to get hurt, and if they stop having cats as pets. then they'd have to get out and be killing animals?

LOL, Women are the devil! i always personally knew! but now i have confirmed it from the gospel of CA!

1626362236342.png

Prop. 65 requires EVERYTHING in California that could be a health hazard must have warning signs/labels. The labels are everywhere in the workplace and on virtually every product sold in the state. It is soooo ridiculous, that no one pays any attention to them. It also prohibits many things not properly certified from being sold in the state. It's frustrating to not be able to buy things here just because many companies don't want to jump through the hoops required to sell in CA. I tried to order a metal body panel for my truck, but couldn't get it for this reason. Same thing with a drill press I wanted. I'm sure it keeps many Bureaucrats employed in our government though! :coff1:

Rocket is correct. It's due to Proposition 65 which required warnings on products, workplaces and any place open to the public which may contain chemicals which the State determines may cause cancer or birth defects. That list keeps growing.

The worst part of Prop. 65 is that is authorizes private attorneys to sue for violations of Prop. 65 and collect their attorneys fees if they win. So many companies quickly realized it was cheaper to label everything or avoid California than get sued.

I was involved defending a suit in which a bunch of greedy plaintiffs lawyers sued cigar retailers including online cigar retailers for failing to warn ....wait for it... non-smokers about the risks of second hand smoke they might be exposed to from their products. I understand how you can warn the cigar smokers buying your cigars, but how are you supposed to warn non-smokers who don't buy or use your product? Fortunately, after a lengthy court battle and lots of money spent, the lawsuit was thrown out. But get this, the attorneys who brought the lawsuit are not required to pay the winning defendants' attorneys fees under Prop. 65!

My last trip to CA, the hotel we were staying at, had this sign OUTSIDE of the hotel. There was no parking garages or anything near by where you would think this would be. This was just by one of the side entrances. Apparently the air in CA causes cancer.... :ban:

View attachment 735606
Exactly what I mean. You will see a sign like this at every entrance to every business in California. Nobody pays any attention except for lawyers and tourists saying WTF???

So everyone doing business in California has to warn consumers and the general public about potential hazards, but the California Government is exempt from providing warnings. Example: 30-40% of all homicide convictions in California are illegal aliens. If safety is so important, why don't the bureaucrats warn the public about that?

@Steveruch , I disagree. Being born is not the cause of cancer, doctors are.
Think of it, you can be sick, even die, but it is not Cancer until a doctor says it is...
Plenty of people are born, but never get Cancer, but 100% of the people that have been diagnosed with Cancer saw a doctor to get that diagnosis!

@Steveruch , I disagree. Being born is not the cause of cancer, doctors are.
Think of it, you can be sick, even die, but it is not Cancer until a doctor says it is...
Plenty of people are born, but never get Cancer, but 100% of the people that have been diagnosed with Cancer saw a doctor to get that diagnosis!

He's Right You Know.gif

Do other states have this silly warning, or just California? Up here in Canada, I see the California one all the time on products, but no other states' warnings for some reason. Maybe other states figure Cali has it covered, lol.

Do other states have this silly warning, or just California? Up here in Canada, I see the California one all the time on products, but no other states' warnings for some reason. Maybe other states figure Cali has it covered, lol.

I've never seen anything like California's warning labels on things here in Michigan, so it must be a Cali thing. If we did though, it'd be something like "This is probably a really bad idea, but hey, you do you! :thumbsup:"

There is a saying in Ontario along those lines: "Well, you could do that, you'd be a damn fool if you did, but you could do that."
Just because you can does not mean you should.

Proposition 65 was voted into law by the voters of California. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Back