Can Old Soda Really Do This?@!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm cleaning a new-to-me corny with some orange gunk inside for the first time. At first I thought it was just residue from some disgustingly old orange soda, but upon closer inspection, I'm not really sure. This stuff is the consistency of glue, and behaves like an oil based varnish, in that soap and hot water seem to have no effect on it.

It's soaking with oxy now, so we'll see. Has anyone ever come across this? I've never seen it with any of my other dozen kegs.

I'm cleaning a new-to-me corny with some orange gunk inside for the first time. At first I thought it was just residue from some disgustingly old orange soda, but upon closer inspection, I'm not really sure. This stuff is the consistency of glue, and behaves like an oil based varnish, in that soap and hot water seem to have no effect on it.

It's soaking with oxy now, so we'll see. Has anyone ever come across this? I've never seen it with any of my other dozen kegs.

Nope. I've never seen one that bad. I just cleaned out an old Seven Up soda keg that still had some of the syrup in it. It had been in storage for at least ten years and maybe longer. It wasn't really bad at all when I opened it up to dump the contents. I had no trouble at all cleaning it up. I was expecting it to be much, much worse. Actually, I've never had one that was really horrible. The one you had may have contained something other than soft drink syrup. I would try using some wood alcohol on it if the Oxyclean doesn't work. If the alcohol doesn't faze it, try some paint thinner (mineral spirits). I'm sure you will find something that will dissolve the crud.

Latest posts

Back