Can someone tell me what I need to do with my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears the last page has everything you need to set up a Bru'n Water spreadsheet template for your water.
Once you've done that you can use the spreadsheet to dial up brewing liquor suitable for the styles you brew, predict mash pH for the grist used, and adjust as necessary.

I will say some of those numbers are going to be challenging for brewing, particularly the alkalinity, but it can be accounted for by acid additions - which the spreadsheet will help dial in...

Cheers!

I setup a profile on brun and got an idea of what my water will do. I have a masters degree in organic chemistry and this stuff is a little confusing and frustrating. For now I think it will be simpler to purchase some water. If I buy RO water from a Glacier machine at Walmart or something, would there be any major watchouts with pH on that route? Would there be a better water to purchase? Is there somewhere to easily purchase phorphic acid or lactic acid? I don't have a LHBS close by and I don't want to wait for an Amazon shipment. Thanks all

If you are going to rely on RO, do yourself a favor and get a TDS meter to help assure that the RO water that you use, actually has RO quality (low TDS).

?????!!!!
I understand the concepts and what they do but as far as needing this and that and where to source it I'm too new to brewing to want to jack with it just yet. Think I've got it figured out

Understand. Beer came out of my nose when I saw the bit quoted in #5 because what I see when I look into an organic chemistry text makes the chemistry involved here look pretty simple.

Understand. Beer came out of my nose when I saw the bit quoted in #5 because what I see when I look into an organic chemistry text makes the chemistry involved here look pretty simple.
It is incredibly simple. There are 15 ways to skin a cat and when you just got the cat and haven't bought a knife yet it can be frustrating trying to decide the best way to go about doing it

just a comment here. I study the water chemistry stuff got a report on my water etc. In the end I just bought a small RO system just for making beer water. They aren't that expensive and saved me tons of time. If you can essentially start form nothing then its easier than trying to fix you water IMHO. You may not want to spend that money etc so that's just my opinion. You've already got the best guys I know on water in this forum commenting so take their advice if they give it.

Back