Cane Sugar for a 5 gallon Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfwayBrews

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but searched and can’t find a solid answer. I’ve been kegging (5 gallons) from day 1 and want to try to carbonate with sugar since I only have 1 CO2 tank and have started to increase my brewing schedule and don’t want to wait for the force carbonation.
To carbonate with priming sugar, best advice I’ve read is boil 1/3 cup priming sugar in 8oz of water, then add that to my keg and fill.
If I want to prime with Cane sugar, how much do I use for 5 gallons? Do I still use 1/3 cup?
From what I’ve read, no one really notices the “cidery” taste that is said to be caused by cane sugar.

Side note on siphoning.
When I siphon from my carboy to my keg, I have it go through a funnel with a strainer to get rid of the sediment that gets sucked up. This creates a splash at the bottom and I assume allows air into the keg.
I didn’t think this was a bad thing since I shoot CO2 into it.
If I carbonate with sugars, should I not use the funnel/strainer and go with the “soft siphon” where I let the siphon hose drop to the bottom of the keg and let it fill upward pushing the air up and out?

jfwayBrews said:
Side note on siphoning.
When I siphon from my carboy to my keg, I have it go through a funnel with a strainer to get rid of the sediment that gets sucked up. This creates a splash at the bottom and I assume allows air into the keg.
I didn’t think this was a bad thing since I shoot CO2 into it.
If I carbonate with sugars, should I not use the funnel/strainer and go with the “soft siphon” where I let the siphon hose drop to the bottom of the keg and let it fill upward pushing the air up and out?

I would not ever do that. Even if you purge with CO2, there is a large chance that you are oxidizing your beer. Add a mesh bag or stainless steel scrubby to the other end of your siphon, it will filter without causing splashing.

Good advice on the siphoning. This weekend I kegged a Nut Brown Ale and removed the funnel/strainer. Let the hose sit on the bottom of the keg and fill upward (soft sisphon). There was no foam. Will continue to do this method.

Latest posts

Back