Cara-Saaz Pilsner Final Version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvAgE

Reaction score
Well Last year was all about Playing around with Extracts and making some great brews

The First revision was excellent. However Now I want to really start and make something out of this world. This is going to be a 38 Liter batch for summer. here is what I have for a recipe

1 KG Weyermens Pilsner (2 Hour Cook) @ 168 F
1 KG American Pilsner (90 Minute Cook) @ 168 F
500 GR Cara Light Crystal (60 Minute Cook) @ 168 F
1 KG of American Extra Light Malt
1 Can Morgans Pilsner with Saaz (I Love this stuff)
2 TBSP of Saaz Last 20 Minutes
1 TBSP of Hallertau Last 20 Minutes

7 Cups Dextrose

Yeast WYeast Pilsner Yeast X2

Wont be starting this until Jan. thoughts feedback?

168 is way too hot for mashing. If you want a full bodied beer, you might mash as high as 156 or so, but not 168. Unless you mean that's the water temperature you're adding, to give you a temp in the 150s.

I mash all my grains together, and don't mash some for 2 hours and some for 90 minutes and some for less time. You only need to mash long enough to get conversion.

So if that were me, I'd add all the grains and mash at 156 for 45 minutes to an hour and then rinse them (sparge) with 170 degree water. Then bring it to a boil and start timing the hops. I'd add the extract late in the boil, depending on when you usually add that hopped extract (I've never heard of it so I can't judge that).

If the temperature gets too high (170+) you will extract tannins, adding a stewed-tea astringency to your beer. I can't think of any other problems with a long steep, but my understanding is you gain nothing by steeping longer than ~40m.

Back