Carbing...Beer Line Attached?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
Quick question, I'm carbonating my first beer and I had to give it a taste after about about 2.5 days. It tastes good (Woohoo!) but it tastes like it still needs a little bit more carbonation. The head was very thick and creamy so I think it's getting there but the beer tastes just a bit flat still.

My question is that do I need to unhook the beer line while I continue to carbonate it or can I leave it attached?

My process so far...
  • Set to 30 PSI for ~18 hours (afternoon to early the next morning)...I did a little rolling of the keg here too but not a lot, I was nervous of the seal.
  • Set to 20 PSI for ~12 hours (While I was at work)
  • Set to 15 PSI for a day
  • Currently Have it set to 12 PSI

One thing to be careful of (or at least something that bit me when I started kegging). After the beer line is connected, try to avoid reducing keg pressure if at all possible. It can cause in-line degassing, which can create huge bubbles in the lines that don't move. End result... Lots of foam.

It always happened to me if I got aggressive trying to get to 3+ volumes. Beer would be too foamy (due to insufficient line length), so I'd dial back pressure. The problem got worse due to degassing.

Learned my lesson. After initial force carb at 30psig for 2 days, I dial back to the low end of where I want to pour. I can always increase pressure if I want a little more carbonation, but I avoid reducing pressure unless something dire happens.

I'm in the set and forget camp. 12.5psi for 10 days in the fridge should be good. Don't rush it. I also usually connect the tap line (10ft) about 5 days in and pour a couple of glasses. First one always goes into the sink (gets rid of any sediment) and second is for a taste test. Then I leave the tap line on, and let it go another 5 days.

Good luck! Cheers!

Agreed day_trippr, my situation was not that I can't do math, but the end result taught me not to drop pressure once beer is in the line.

When I lived in TX, temp uniformity in my kegerator was poor. Despite my best insulation attempts, the top of the kegerator was always a few degrees warmer than the bottom (where the coils are located). On the first two beers, I set carbonation where the lines should be balanced, however warmer temps in the top of the kegerator caused degassing, making every first pour very foamy. In an attempt to fix that, I dialed pressure down and degassed to the point I couldn't clear the bubble out of the line.

Just make sure, if you have a cheap-o picnic tap like I do, that it doesn't leak. I woke up to a gallon of beer in the bottom of my keezer this morning :\

I'm facing a very similar situation. Kegged my first beer a week and a half ago. Poured my first pint tonight to try it out. Lots of foam but the beer tastes a little flat. Regulator has been set at just under 12 psi and I'm using a standard picnic tap. Does it just need more time for the CO2 to integrate into the beer?

I'm facing a very similar situation. Kegged my first beer a week and a half ago. Poured my first pint tonight to try it out. Lots of foam but the beer tastes a little flat. Regulator has been set at just under 12 psi and I'm using a standard picnic tap. Does it just need more time for the CO2 to integrate into the beer?

Are you cold carbing? Or room temperature carbing? And how long is your tap line? At around 12 psi, your line should be 10 feet, and if carbonating at around 5 deg, you should be plenty carbed at 10-14 days.

Are you cold carbing? Or room temperature carbing? And how long is your tap line? At around 12 psi, your line should be 10 feet, and if carbonating at around 5 deg, you should be plenty carbed at 10-14 days.

Both keg and co2 tank have been in the fridge, guessing around 36 degrees. Tap line is 5 foot long.

Both keg and co2 tank have been in the fridge, guessing around 36 degrees. Tap line is 5 foot long.

I'd recommend going to a longer tap line. 10' should do it. And it should be 3/16 ID. Your LHBS should carry the right line. Don't use the nylon crap from HD and Lowe's, you'll just get a glass of foam with that stuff.

So my tap line is a 3/16 ID tubing that came from a beverage dispensing shop. Help me understand what the extra footage will do.

So my tap line is a 3/16 ID tubing that came from a beverage dispensing shop. Help me understand what the extra footage will do.

See day trippr link. It basically comes down to balance between the pressure in the keg, and the pressure in the line. If the line is too short for the pressure in the keg, the beer will come out too fast and foamy. I made the change on a recommendation before researching it, but it worked like a charm. I have been going with my above posted routine since and rarely get a glass of foam now.

Cheers!

Back