Carbing with beer gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
Hi i was given a keg system which came with a big bottle of beer gas and a regulator for it. The gas is a 50-50 N2 CO2 mix and the regulator is set at about 30-35 psi i think. If i use this will it carbed the beer as well as say 100% CO2 at 15 psi. Or is is that logic way off!!
Does anyone else use a beer gas set up, do you need to prime to carb? Do you just have to leave i longer? etc.
Cheers.

are you sure it is a 50/50 mix? usually it is 70/30 or 75/25 of nitrogen/co2

are you using this with a stout faucet?

if not, i would question why do it this way?

nitrogen isn't as permeable in solution as co2 is, so basically just there for the head pressure. if you want to carb with beergas, the best way is to use a diffusion stone, otherwise it is a bit more difficult.

here is a good writeup on beer gas, it is from the greenboard:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=48144

gnef said:
are you sure it is a 50/50 mix? usually it is 70/30 or 75/25 of nitrogen/co2

are you using this with a stout faucet?

if not, i would question why do it this way?

nitrogen isn't as permeable in solution as co2 is, so basically just there for the head pressure. if you want to carb with beergas, the best way is to use a diffusion stone, otherwise it is a bit more difficult.

here is a good writeup on beer gas, it is from the greenboard:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=48144

Yes its a 50-50 guiness beer gas tank all right, the creamy head must be a bigger selling point in north america than in the old country hence the higher ratios of nitrogen i keep seeing.
I don't have a stout facet just a couple of regular ones so i'm hoping that will actually reduce the creamyness, basically i've been given the system so at the moment its all i have, i'll probably look to aquire a co2 tank as well (wallet permitting).
Thanks for the tip about the airstone and the link to the other FAQ on the basis of that i reckon i should be ok for carbing just about everything but my lagers.
I feel a trip to the fish shop for airstones coming on, i wanted to pick up some clown loaches for a snail infestation anyway.

i don't think you'll want an aquarium airstone, i think a sintered (sp?) steel stone of 2 micron or .5 micron would be preferable.

check with your local welding supply to see if you can do a trade, your beergas tank for a co2 tank. i've found that airgas here in the states is flexible in this respect.

i think the system you have now will be difficult to balance, and you will need a lot of beerline in order to get a decent pour, which is actually one of the purposes of beergas, for extended beerline runs.

keep us updated as to the progress of this!

Back