Carbonating cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
Just did a pineapple cider. Used xylitol to backsweeten and then added priming sugar to add carbonation. After a month i checked on it to find its still flat. Is there something i did wrong?

I find that it takes a lot longer to carb my ciders than my beers. What is your PSI at? or did you bottle?

I think it took...2 maybe even 3 months to carb really nice in the bottles.

Did you add anything that would have knocked the yeast out? That could be the issue. You might also try raising the temp. If its been a long fermentation, the yeast might have also just tired out. I assume you've already bottled, correct? It would be a pain in the tuckus, but you could add a grain or two of yeast to each bottle.

Yeah i have my cider in half gallon growlers with the swing top lids. So youre saying add a couple grains of yeast to it and it may work?

For me the swing tops are hit or miss with carbonation, but I wasn't wiping the gasket and the rib of the bottle with a damp starsan lint free cloth. That could have helped. I quickly moved to crown caps.

I have never tried it but I have heard you shouldn't carbonate in growlers, as they aren't designed to hold the pressure.

I've only done one cider but it took fore-ever to carb. I wonder if since there is so much simpler sugars in there if a lot more of the yeast just poops out and drops?

I've also been carbing in growlers and swing tops for years. You can definately do it with a standard amount of carb but I feel like they don't hold the carbonation as well as crowns. I always make sure drink those first.

I've also had to remind myself that a proper cider doesn't have the same "fizz" as a beer or soda. I bottled a Caramel Apple Cider in regular brown bottles using frozen concentrate to sweeten and act as an agent to get the fizz going. After four days there was a very nice carbonation to it - had a nice, healthy head at pour and had just a slight effervescence while drinking. I used four of the frozen juice concentrates per a five gallon batch. It was sweet, but only took four days to carb to my likes.

Back