cask cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a batch of Apfelwein that I'm planning to rack to a 20L oak barrel that once had blue corn whiskey in it but now has a gallon of cheap (Mcmasters) whiskey in it ( I turn it a few times a week to keep it wet). I was thinking that the night before racking I would pull the side bung and roll it over to drain out the cheap whiskey and let it "drip dry" over night to get all of it out. Then rack the cider into it.
The plan is to then serve the cider right from the oak cask at a big homebrew party. I was thinking racking it over a min of 1 week before the party or a max of 2 weeks before.

What are your thoughts on this whole deal?
1 week? 2 weeks? More?
As you know the Apfelwein is dry as a bone, would you think back sweetening it a bit would be a good thing or just leave it dry? If I sweeten it I was thinking of just bringing it up to say a 1.010 - 1.015. I would also do this with juice not sugar.

Similar discussion going on here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/aged-cider-bourbon-barrel-237515/

I think it would certainly add to the flavor profile of the Apfelwein. My only concern is that it might take quite a bit longer than 2 weeks to take on any noticable flavor.

Just my thoughts, I have no experiance with oak barrels, just the liquors that come in them:cross:

The dryness is simply a personal preference, many prefer it dry, many like it sweet. No harm either way.

How long do you have in total before the party? I would put it in as early as possible to give it as much time to mix, meld, mellow, and do it's thing before serving.

How long do you have in total before the party? I would put it in as early as possible to give it as much time to mix, meld, mellow, and do it's thing before serving.

The party is put on by the LHBS and it's May 14th. I was thinking 1-2 weeks in the barrel because I have heard that the small barrels will impart flavor faster then the large ones because of the surface contact. But I have never done this before so I have no real world experience.

Back