Cause of haze trub/yeast in bottom of keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
I have been wondering and trying to figure out the cause of hazy beer for me. I actually cut the dip tube on my other keg up an inch. I thought I was really careful racking this beer but when I opened the corny look what was on the bottom. Is this junk on the bottom imparting a little bit into each glass and causing my haze? Do I need to leave a half-gallon behind in the fermenter because it's sucking up stuff as I get to close to the trub cake? Or was this stuff in suspension and eventually it just finally fell out? Thanks for the help.

View attachment 1506602835089.jpg

It's just yeast settling out, much like the thin layer of yeast you'll find at the bottom of a bottle-conditioned beer. My kegs always look like that, although I haven't cut my dip tubes.

Are you using finings and cold-crashing before you rack to the keg? That will help things settle out before you rack. Otherwise, beer will tend to clear over time (weeks), and when it clears, guess where that stuff is dropping out to?

I always have a little of something in the bottom of my kegs; once I get the keg settled in place and leave it alone for 24hours, then draw off a pint or so, I get that suspended stuff in there. Then it's clear and good to the end of the keg.

I finally gave a good cold crash and gelatin a try. Huge difference the beer was clear and I think I still racked some gunk but it came out quicker. The aggressive force carb seems to do nothing good for clarity though. Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions and knowledge.

Back