CEO stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to recreate the CEO (Chocolate, espresso, oatmeal) stout from Right Brain Brewery? It's the best beer I've ever had and I'd like to try and make something similar. If anyone has any insiderish information I'd love it.

I guess a more general question is, if I want to use coffee to brew beer, what is the best way. Should I leave it in whole bean form and put it in the mash/boil/fermenter? Or should I grind it and then add it to the mash,boil,fermenter. The rest of the recipe I think I'm just going to make something resembling a hybrid of an oatmeal stout and a chocolate stout, we'll see, and I'll be sure to post if I have positive results

Your best bet would be to brew up some strong coffee or espresso and add it to the fermenter or closer to bottling.

Blending a chocolate and oatmeal stout, or using some chocolate malts in an oatmeal recipie seems to be how alot of these coffee based stouts are made.

And all i've ever seen on this forum is brew the coffee and add it to the fermenter. One thing i havn't figured out is how much coffee, if it's just like an 8 cup caraffe, or a 12 cup caraffe, and how strong to brew the coffee. Strength I guess would be left up to taste, and the volume to add would only affect finish gravity :)

If you do espresso, the brew will be more concentrated. I doubt adding a big pot of coffee would effect FG THAT much. If you are worried, just brew it stronger!

Don't use regular hot brewed coffee, as brewing coffee with hot water brings out a lot of oils into the coffee which will kill your head retention. You can lightly grind some beans and soak them in cold water for 24 hours, then strain out the beans using a coffee filter. That way you wont extract oils from the coffee beans.

Latest posts

Back