Cereal Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big "A"

Reaction score
I think that is what it is called when you pitch a fresh batch of wort on the yeast cake from a previous primary fermentation. I am brewing the same Fullers ESB recipe on this coming Monda and could Save myself 5 or so bucks by reusing the yeast cake from this batch of ESB. How should I go about doing this. Pour Right ontop of the yeast cake or pitch that yeast cake ontop of the new wort in a fresh fermenter?

I think you meant Serial, meaning in order, not Cereal, meaning processed grains?

Anyhow, you can just dump the fresh wort onto the old gunk in the fermenter. But you really only need a cup or so of it. I'd say, that if you are going from a lighter flavored brew to a heavier one, go ahead and use the whole amount. If going from a heavier beer to a lighter one, use a partial amount. I just shake it up, and pour 'some' out.

LOL, thanks. I have only heard it talked about not written:) .
Cool That what I'll do then! BTW I am making the exact same beer again.

We just pitched a Columbia IPA with a pint of yeast slurry from a previous IPA. I basically racked it down to the trub, gave it all a good swirl, then poured out a full pint to a sterilized pint glass. Pitched that, and blew the airlock out of my fermenter in about 12 hours.

I know you're supposed to rinse your yeast, but I've been getting really good results from swirling and pitching.

Back