CFC - how to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I want to build a CFC to make the cooling process run itself, but I'm a bit foggy on the details.

As far as I can tell, my options are:

1) drain the hot wort through the CFC and directly into the fermenter, possibly through a strainer to catch some of the break/hops material

2) pump the cooled wort back into the BK to get a whirlpool going, and drain the BK once cooled to pitching temps and rested to let the whirlpool work its magic on the chunks.

Is that about it? Any better options?

i don't whirlpool so i do option A. i assume you already understand that the CFC works best with a pump? otherwise it'll take 20min to drain a 5g batch through it versus about 3-4min with a pump. even though i don't have experience with option B, it seems to me that if you run the wort through the CFC and back into the kettle you really wouldn't be cooling the wort off much since you'd just be dumping cooled wort back into near boiling wort. is there some reason you couldn't take the 15 or so minutes to whirlpool and then run it through the CFC and into the fermenter?

Back