Cherry Bomb Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooCelt

Reaction score
Cherry Bomb Mead

(Note: This is for a 3 gallon recipe)
10 lbs. Honey
3 cups Dried Cherries (primary) – purchased in bulk from Costco
¾ cup Dried Cherries (secondary)
Lavlin D47 yeast

¾ tsp per feeding of Yeast Energizer – I use the LD Carlson Company brand

Cinnamon Extract:
2 cinnamon sticks
½ cup vodka
4-5 oak cubes
Note: Start this 4-5 days before transfer to your final bulk aging vessel. I let mine go for the full five days before adding it to my final product, as I really wanted a slight cinnamon punch to play with the cherry and oak flavors.

I typically warm up the honey a bit. Two gallons brought to a medium temp to more easily dissolve the honey. For Primary, I took the dried cherries and placed them in a brewbag to keep sediment more controlled and then placed them in the warm honey/water mixture for 15 minutes to help start the extraction process. Then, I cooled the must down with an ice bath to room temperature, transferred it to the carboy, added the final gallon of water and pitched the yeast. The cherries from Costco did have some sugars, so the yeasties had plenty to feed on during primary. I added the yeast energizer at 24 hours from pitch and then again at 48 and 72 hours while de-gassing twice a day.

Once primary was complete at 1.010 gravity, I transferred to secondary and added ¾ cup dried cherries to help make the cherry flavor more pronounced and to deepen the red color of the mead. This kicked up a very slight fermentation - which died down rather quickly. Two weeks after moving to secondary, I again transferred the mead off of the cherries and the sediment. At this point, I allowed the mead to sit for three weeks to finish dropping out any residual sediment before transferring it a final time. This mead cleared rather quickly in comparison to some of my others. At this juncture, I added the cinnamon extract I’d created and ¾ cup wine conditioner to back sweeten.

It was still slightly “hot” at this point, but still had an amazing flavor profile! The cherry was sweet, but not cloying and the cinnamon/oak extract really rounded out the experience. It wasn’t as red as I’d hoped, but is a very pleasant dark amber. The mead then bulk aged for a month before being placed into 750 ml bottles to be set aside for a possible August opening.

Update. Bottled, and even at bottling the mead was wonderful! There is a cherry tang evident, which leads me to believe that it's going to be a really great summer mead!

cherrybombmead.jpg

Wow, this is a very good recipe, thanks so much for sharing this. It is going to be the next wine batch I start, but I'm upping it to 5 gallons. If I may ask: for the cinnamon extract portion, do you soak the cinnamon sticks and oak cubs in vodka and add it to the wine, or is the vodka to sanitize the sticks and cubes? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks again for sharing and be sure to post an update when it is ready for opening.

Wow, this is a very good recipe, thanks so much for sharing this. It is going to be the next wine batch I start, but I'm upping it to 5 gallons. If I may ask: for the cinnamon extract portion, do you soak the cinnamon sticks and oak cubs in vodka and add it to the wine, or is the vodka to sanitize the sticks and cubes? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks again for sharing and be sure to post an update when it is ready for opening.

I add the vodka to the brew after straining out the oak cubes and cinnamon sticks. After the time it sits with the oak cubes and cinnamon, the vodka has absorbed the flavors - giving you a natural extract without any sugars which could potentially kick up another firmentation.

Thanks for the update. Is it possible to add the cinnamon and oak directly to the wine without creating an extract with vodka? I usually let my wine clarify for no less than two months, is this enough to time for the sticks and cubes to infuse flavor to the wine? Honestly, I am trying to get out of purchasing vodka if possible. Thanks again for your help.

You could try it, but you may not have the same control over the flavor you get from the extract. I found that soaking the cinnamon and oak for five days gave the perfect flavor for me. It honestly doesn't matter the quality of the vodka, but if you do try to use the oak and cinnamon in the secondary - or later - let us know how it turns out.

You could try it, but you may not have the same control over the flavor you get from the extract. I found that soaking the cinnamon and oak for five days gave the perfect flavor for me. It honestly doesn't matter the quality of the vodka, but if you do try to use the oak and cinnamon in the secondary - or later - let us know how it turns out.

Okay, thanks. I thought it over and I probably will go ahead with the vodka extract. I don't want to toy with the recipe, it sounds too good. My equipment is tied up in a batch of strawberry/grape wine now, but I'll be starting the mead later this year and will be sure to update. Thanks again!

UPDATE: I have officially started the recipe and so far it is going great! A few days into fermentation and it is going healthy and strong. Plan to transfer to secondary within a week or so. The vodka/oak/cinnamon extract is a very interesting and fun step that I've never utilized in a brew before. After only a few days marinating the vodka has gone from clear to a dark brown bourbon color, and smells GREAT. I am wondering if you can recommend other recipes that use the method of making a potent flavor extract using a vodka marinade. I'm also wondering if I can impart oak flavor into any wine by simply oaking vodka and letting it sit. I will update again when I reach bottling stage, but not expected to bottle for many months. Thanks again for posting this great recipe!

Back