Cider warped my mind!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberlord

Reaction score
Had a couple of my first ciders finally. They are only 8%ish but has anyone else had just one 12oz cider make their brain feel like it was warped/twisted/bent to one side or the other? Mine felt like it was warped to the left. WoW!

Can't say that I have. I'd personally have to murder about three in a row, fairly quickly, to get that happy.

Had a couple of my first ciders finally. They are only 8%ish but has anyone else had just one 12oz cider make their brain feel like it was warped/twisted/bent to one side or the other? Mine felt like it was warped to the left. WoW!

I am a seasoned (albeit store bought 8%) cider drinker and I had a litre of my first home brew when racking it (just for taste testing you understand and also my glass demijohn didn't have room for the last 2litres) I must admit I got a bit of a sway on.

The hydrometer measured that it was only 5% but it felt like it was more like 10%..

Good, I thought I might be the only one. It will get you drunk.

I remember that phenomenon and have seen it in some friends. Could be the way that our bodies metabolize a drink containing more pectins or live yeasts. I don't know.

I find home brews tend to have sneak up behind you and kick you in the A$$ effect.

Exactly what all my friends say about my cider. Goes down smooth and next thing you know.....WHAM!! It doesn't help that I bottle all of it in 22's.
First batch measured at 9.5% but tastes more like 5.
Second batch measured 10% and is even smoother. I aged that one on oak chips for 2 months before bottling.

Jkoegel how toasted were your oak chips? I had an Oaked cider the other day and REALLY appreciated it. Got some American white oak staves kicking around I might toast up.

Mitch311
I used 2oz of medium toast chips. boiled them in 8oz of water to sanitize them first and poured them with the water (oak tea) into my secondary. Left it in there for 2 weeks before bottling.
I really like the tannins it added, I'll probably double the amount next time, or increase the time in secondary.

Mitch311
I used 2oz of medium toast chips. boiled them in 8oz of water to sanitize them first and poured them with the water (oak tea) into my secondary. Left it in there for 2 weeks before bottling.
I really like the tannins it added, I'll probably double the amount next time, or increase the time in secondary.

how big of a batch?

I figured it out, why I got such a reaction...

First my PET bottles are not 12oz but 16oz.

I had one of Brandon-Os graffs before and had forgotten that fact. It also was a 16oz-er.

So 32oz of brew in about 30 minutes on an empty stomach (waiting for dinner) was what did me in.

Back