Cleaning before first time usage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfan99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This may have been covered in part in another thread, however I could not find a definitive answer (if one exists). I plan to do my first all grain tomorrow. I have a converted keg and a homemade immersion chiller. I cleaned the keg with BarKeepers friend. My question is, should I boil a water and vinegar solution first (with the chiller in the boil) to "clean" everything up before the first batch? Do I need to do this if I've already used Bar Keepers friend (got that idea from Palmer...oxalic acid based...good for stainless)? :confused:

Was going to ask this as well. I did notice that my keg seems to have a residue on the inside of the keg/kettle. Any recommendations for cleaning or is it just supposed to be there?

I soaked all my new stuff in PBW for 20 minutes, ran a quick rag over it to get any oily residue, then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. The extra boil in vinegar seems like a little overkill.

Latest posts

Back