Cleaning outside of Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew18

Reaction score
I got some very strange charring on the bottom of my kettle. It’s like a black powdery material that stains like crazy. I took barkeepers friend to the bottom of the kettle but some of the marks are still there.

What’s more is the side of the kettle has some discoloration. It’s one of those spikes kettles that’s shiny on the sides, so I’m afraid to use some abrasive cleaner or pad to try and clean it up. Any ideas of what I can do?

Here’s a picture of the side
IMG_1076.jpg

I've only used Barkeepers Friend for stains on stainless steel. Manufacturers of good quality stainless cooking utensils say that Comet can also be used. Comet may be slightly different than BF. Worth a try.

If Comet works I would go back over the cleaned area with BF to repassivate the stainless steel.

Looks like soot from here, I'd think it wouldn't be hard to remove without using a scouring agent.
Was this the first use of the burner? If that is soot the burner is way out of tune...

Cheers!

Yep. First use of the burner. I picked up the burners off amazon a few months ago. Most of it was easy to remove with a little elbow grease and bar keepers friend, but the stuff that stayed on is almost painted onto the kettle. I’m convinced it’s not coming off.

More BKf scrub harder? Steel wool / Brillo pad? I think the steel wool is softer than the stainless so it won’t scratch or embed ferrous particles.

I know I know everyone says not to use steel, but I have success with steel wool scrub pads.

If you try steel wool use the 0000 grade. It is very fine. The Comet that Flars suggested is a bit coarser that Barkeepers Friend and will clean faster but leaves a duller finish. If it is too dull go over it with Barkeepers Friend and it should brighten it some.

Back