CO2 prices up 50%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruhaha

Reaction score
I live in SC and my CO2 refills are limited to tank exchanges with Airgas locally. They do exchanges and swap out my empty 5# tank for a filled one.

Back in late winter (Jan I think) 2016, I swapped a 5# CO2 tank for $18. I traded it today which is less than 6 months later, and the swap cost me $27. Wait, did you get the price right I asked, or is that for a 10# swap. Nope, its for a 5# he says. Hummm.

This means that swap went up 50% in 5 months. Is this typical prices swing wildly like this? I never noticed wild variations like this before. Is this just here in SC with Airgas, or have others noticed the increase?? Unfortunately, I'd have to drive 75 miles to other sources. There goes any potential savings :( :(

How many times have you swapped it @ $18?

I have a commercial account with them & $16 is what I normally pay. I wonder if they rang it as a commercial price the time before?

Monopoly pricing sucks. Lack of effective competition is good for suppliers, bad for customers. You appear to be stuck. Sorry.

Brew on :mug:

The Praxair place by me has not changed their Co2 swapping prices in the 2 years I have been going there, last week they charged me the same $20 for swapping a #5 tank as they always have. You might want to shop around for a better price.

I think I paid $22 for a ten# tank last time.If you want to save money get a bigger tank.The price difference between 5 and 10 pound tank is only a few bucks for twice the gas

How many times have you swapped it @ $18?

I have a commercial account with them & $16 is what I normally pay. I wonder if they rang it as a commercial price the time before?

I use Airgas exclusively and it seems like at least 2 years, maybe more, that I have been paying in the range of $18.

BUT, you gave me a darn good idea. My wife owns a jewelry store and uses them (Airgas) for large tanks of oxygen and acetylene for her repair work. She has a commercial account with them. Duh, that never dawned on me to ask.

im 32$ for a 20lber.

last tank they switched out for me had a leak(at the neck of the tank)

they claimed it wasn't leaking when they sold it to me. I've found a new supplier.....

I live in SC and my CO2 refills are limited to tank exchanges with Airgas locally. They do exchanges and swap out my empty 5# tank for a filled one.

Back in late winter (Jan I think) 2016, I swapped a 5# CO2 tank for $18. I traded it today which is less than 6 months later, and the swap cost me $27. Wait, did you get the price right I asked, or is that for a 10# swap. Nope, its for a 5# he says. Hummm.

This means that swap went up 50% in 5 months. Is this typical prices swing wildly like this? I never noticed wild variations like this before. Is this just here in SC with Airgas, or have others noticed the increase?? Unfortunately, I'd have to drive 75 miles to other sources. There goes any potential savings :( :(
I'm in SC as well and posted about this recently (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=581896). I'm getting screwed by Praxair and Airgas. I even called the fire ext place in Columbia and they charge roughly the same thing.

I'm in SC as well and posted about this recently (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=581896). I'm getting screwed by Praxair and Airgas. I even called the fire ext place in Columbia and they charge roughly the same thing.

In fact I called the fire extinguisher place on Rosewood after I got miffed today and found out exactly what you stated. I also called two other Airgas places (Sumter and Columbia) just to see if I got the same number...yep, all $27. Rip off!! I am in Florence and basically have nowhere else to try.

In fact I called the fire extinguisher place on Rosewood after I got miffed today and found out exactly what you stated. I also called two other Airgas places (Sumter and Columbia) just to see if I got the same number...yep, all $27. Rip off!! I am in Florence and basically have nowhere else to try.
Well crap. I was also (selfishly) hoping you were in Columbia so I could meet up with another homebrewer! But I know Florence well, grew up in Lake City, parents still live there.

Seems that with "global warming" and greenhouse gasses, we should get some sort of tax cut for environmentally friendly practices by using the CO2 - I mean taking the responsibility of trapping it in bottles and then consuming it to prevent it from escaping to our environment should be rewarded.......

I make AG beers so I am always looking for good prices on grains. I know its a long drive, but I go to Alternative Beverage outside Charlotte in Belmont. It is an old warehouse and the owner ships ALL KINDS of brewing equipment and supplies all over. He owns several LHBS locally, and supplies them out of this warehouse which is open to the public. He has rows and row of all types of grains I have only read about. He also has any imaginable hardware from pots to poppets. Yeast and lacto cultures are always in date and fresh. For you, shoot up I-77 and hit 485. Its probably not much over an hour for you in Cola. Well worth the trip.

There are a couple of LHBS in Columbia with MarBet (near Harbison) being the best supplied. But this Alt Bev in CLT is like the super Walmart of home brew stores. DIY Brewhouse in Elgin has a brew club that is active. Nice folks.

Well crap. I was also (selfishly) hoping you were in Columbia so I could meet up with another homebrewer! But I know Florence well, grew up in Lake City, parents still live there.

Sorry TravelingLight...the above post was for you

Seems that with "global warming" and greenhouse gasses, we should get some sort of tax cut for environmentally friendly practices by using the CO2 - I mean taking the responsibility of trapping it in bottles and then consuming it to prevent it from escaping to our environment should be rewarded.......

I feel "rewarded" now as I prepare to pop a top!

Keep that talk up and soon you'll be charged $5 every time you burp.

And $10 a poot. Methane, yo.

I make AG beers so I am always looking for good prices on grains. I know its a long drive, but I go to Alternative Beverage outside Charlotte in Belmont. It is an old warehouse and the owner ships ALL KINDS of brewing equipment and supplies all over. He owns several LHBS locally, and supplies them out of this warehouse which is open to the public. He has rows and row of all types of grains I have only read about. He also has any imaginable hardware from pots to poppets. Yeast and lacto cultures are always in date and fresh. For you, shoot up I-77 and hit 485. Its probably not much over an hour for you in Cola. Well worth the trip.

There are a couple of LHBS in Columbia with MarBet (near Harbison) being the best supplied. But this Alt Bev in CLT is like the super Walmart of home brew stores. DIY Brewhouse in Elgin has a brew club that is active. Nice folks.
Good stuff, thanks for the heads up. I get most of my grain now from BetMar on St. Andrews. I pretty much order all my hops and yeast though. I really liked Hop Yard Supply out at the Old Mill in Lexington but Matt closed up shop in preparation for his new brewery/brewpub Cottontown. Pretty excited about it.

Good stuff, thanks for the heads up. I get most of my grain now from BetMar on St. Andrews. I pretty much order all my hops and yeast though. I really liked Hop Yard Supply out at the Old Mill in Lexington but Matt closed up shop in preparation for his new brewery/brewpub Cottontown. Pretty excited about it.

Yes, that's Bet Mar I had the name transposed. I have reservations about shipping yeast this time of year, but if you have a reliable shipping program, that is all good.

May I ask you more about the new brewpub in Cottonwood? Not familiar with that area?

I ran into the same problem with AirGas about a month ago. The counter man told me they had been running a promotion, hence the $20 refills. Promotion ended, lower price too.

I didn't like the sound of that. We have a number of industrial gas supply companies in the area so I contacted Arc3 Gases. They are actually right across the road from AirGas. The manager of the store replied to my email saying that they would do exchanges for about $17.50. I still have plenty in the new (expensive) tank but will certainly give these guys a chance to earn my business.

HTH.

If only it were true that kegging had a negative carbon footprint. All the CO2 in the tank you buy eventually ends up being released to the atmosphere, unless you don't burp or fart. :D So, kegging itself is carbon neutral.

Brewing however, is a net CO2 generator. A five gal batch can generate 1.0 to 4.25 lbs of CO2 during fermentation depending on OG and FG.

Brew on :mug:

$28 to replace a 5lb at LHBS and 40 for a 10lb.

I am buying a 20lb cylinder today after work. Need to find somewhere else to go and get it filled or swap out.

$28 to replace a 5lb at LHBS and 40 for a 10lb.

I am buying a 20lb cylinder today after work. Need to find somewhere else to go and get it filled or swap out.

Try finding a small welding supply place. I got a #20 tank exchanged for $15.38. :D

LHBS wanted waaaayyyy too much. I don't even remember how much b/c it's been over a year since I've filled there.

Yes, that's Bet Mar I had the name transposed. I have reservations about shipping yeast this time of year, but if you have a reliable shipping program, that is all good.

May I ask you more about the new brewpub in Cottonwood? Not familiar with that area?
Cottonwood (or maybe it's Cottontown, I always forget) is just the north main area. He's opening up right beside War Mouth off Main St., just north of Elmwood. Pretty excited. He's been brewing at the Old Mill for years. His family owns a hop farm out in Camden.

Try finding a small welding supply place. I got a #20 tank exchanged for $15.38. :D

LHBS wanted waaaayyyy too much. I don't even remember how much b/c it's been over a year since I've filled there.

Yea there is a Air Gas place here in town near my work I am actually checking out on my lunch Break. Also a couple places back in my home town to try if Air Gas can't hook me up.

Been using 5lb tank and want to move up to a 20

This was going to be my suggestion, I get two 20# tanks refilled for $42 and change.

I have a brand new 20# tank waiting to be filled. The two local welding supply places only do swaps. The fire safety place said the price to fill it was $49.

Is this the norm these days?

I have a brand new 20# tank waiting to be filled. The two local welding supply places only do swaps. The fire safety place said the price to fill it was $49.

Is this the norm these days?

The fire safety place is trying to gouge you. I hate trading tanks. Praxair gave me one with a busted valve and then charged me to replace it a couple days later. The handle for the valve came off right in my hand.

Just got my first 5# tank exchanged at a local AirGas in Greenfield, MA for $26! Ouch...

$23, including tax to swap a 20, Airgas, Columbia.

That's a commercial account though.

It would greatly surprise me if they didn't sell at that price if you mentioned it.

It would greatly surprise me if they didn't sell at that price if you mentioned it.

I called a place I was unaware of until this post called Praxair. The total of a 5# tank swap at Airgas, as mentioned, was $27. Praxair quoted me $17 out the door. That's a huge difference...glad I made this post and found a new source I was unaware of.

That's right about what I paid a few months ago at Airgas without a commercial account. The one on Bluff, right? I swear they don't have a set price and just charge whatever they feel like on that given day.

I called a place I was unaware of until this post called Praxair. The total of a 5# tank swap at Airgas, as mentioned, was $27. Praxair quoted me $17 out the door. That's a huge difference...glad I made this post and found a new source I was unaware of.
Prime example of these places charging whatever they feel like at the moment. I went to Praxair in Columbia in May (May 6 to be exact) and they charged me 19.99 before tax (21.59 with tax) for a 5 pound tank. There's also a 4.99 "hazardous material fee" whatever the hell that is. I still have my receipt, looking at it right now. Honestly I would love for someone else to get a cheaper price and give me their receipt so I can walk in the door and show them both receipts and ask them what kind of racket they're running.

Back