Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demonbrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 6gal milk stout currently fermenting this Saturday 05/19/18 will be a week. I want to add coco nibs that i bought sealed from my local brew store, I want to add it to my stout when i secondary it in a week but i have a few questions

1st question: I was reading that people soak it in vodka or boil it which is better and how long?

2nd: is it better to soak it if i want a good chlocate flavor, but not over powering?

3rd: is 4oz of coco nibs enough for 6gal?

4th: should i leave coconibs the remaining 2 weeks?
Thanks everyone,
cheers​

I use 8 ounces for my 11 gallon batches (10 gallons finished product) so 4 ounces should be fine. I don't use the Vodka method but many, if not most around here do. I put the nibs in a very small pot and I just barely cover them with water. I bring it to a boil and stir it up. I pour the entire contents into the fermenter and it always works very well for me. Never get any infections and always have good chocolate flavor. It will start out as bitter chocolate when the beer is young which is a nice flavor. As the beer ages it mellows a little to just chocolate which is very good also. I leave mine on the nibs for four or five days and then I cold crash to sink the nibs for two days before kegging. Many ways to do this but this is what always works for me so I never changed it. Good Luck!

Edit: Oh and welcome to the forum!

John

Indeed there are many ways to use cocoa nibs in the fermentor (I use 8 ounces per 5 gallons, marinate them in dark rum for a week and dump the works in the fermentor) but no matter how you use them you simply must include a vanilla bean or two...

Cheers!

Indeed there are many ways to use cocoa nibs in the fermentor (I use 8 ounces per 5 gallons, marinate them in dark rum for a week and dump the works in the fermentor) but no matter how you use them you simply must include a vanilla bean or two...

Cheers!
Sounds pretty good

I use 4 to 8 oz of nibs per 5g. I've added the straight into the secondary out of the bag for 5-7 days @ 75deg. I've also added them bagged straight into the keg for 4 days @ 36deg. Super easy to do in the keg, probably gonna stick to that if I can.

Back