Conical question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djnelson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to buy the Blichmann or the Morebeer stainless conical (14 gal version).

I'm interested in being able to lager so the cooling feature of the Morebeer conical is appealing, but Blichmann makes amazing products.

What do those of you who own/use these think?

I'm not sure you should count on the cooling features Morebeer has. They make it that way because it sounds really convenient/awesome, but there's only so much cooling power you can get out of those units. I think you can only drop like 15*C below ambient or something like that, and they add significantly to the cost of the unit. It would probably be cheaper to get it without the cooling feature, and then buy a used freezer and temp control unit.

The most general opinion seems to be that Blichmann has the higher quality. They don't offer cooling, basically for the reasons I outlined above.

edit: Morebeer does offer an 'ultimate conical' that does provide more cooling power - more like 25*C. But it costs even more, and weighs twice as much (though I suppose you'd have to move it less if temps were less of a concern).

I'm not sure you should count on the cooling features Morebeer has. They make it that way because it sounds really convenient/awesome, but there's only so much cooling power you can get out of those units. I think you can only drop like 15*C below ambient or something like that, and they add significantly to the cost of the unit. It would probably be cheaper to get it without the cooling feature, and then buy a used freezer and temp control unit.

The most general opinion seems to be that Blichmann has the higher quality. They don't offer cooling, basically for the reasons I outlined above.

edit: Morebeer does offer an 'ultimate conical' that does provide more cooling power - more like 25*C. But it costs even more, and weighs twice as much (though I suppose you'd have to move it less if temps were less of a concern).

+1

make sure it can fit into a known, readily available, freezer, one identified before hand by brand and model number. Then temp control is easy-peasy. I can safely say this is the best path because it's the one I didn't take...

Back