Connecticut Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3uerger

Reaction score
Wondering how you other nutmegers 1st year rhizomes did?
Was a bad year for the vegetable garden all my coworkers agreed.
my willy grew some nice bines but i accidentally knocked off the growth bud early on.
the cascade was a slow start but i did get a handfull of cones off her.

lets see some pics!

i'll post mine tomarrow
:mug:

I got 12 oz (wet) from 2 chinook rhizomes, haven't picked my centennials but it will be less than 12 oz. Not bad, all things considered

I got a fair amount of Golding from this (second) year. We didn't bother to harvest last time. Here they are shortly before we broke out the foodsaver:

P8250001 - My Photo Gallery
P8250002 - My Photo Gallery

I think if we prune next year we'll get a better yield.

Wondering how you other nutmegers 1st year rhizomes did?
Was a bad year for the vegetable garden all my coworkers agreed.
my willy grew some nice bines but i accidentally knocked off the growth bud early on.
the cascade was a slow start but i did get a handfull of cones off her.

lets see some pics!

i'll post mine tomarrow
:mug:

My Sterling did really well, it grew about 14 feet and proceeded to sprout about 25-30 cones total. I'm just happy to get anything for the first year.

My Fuggle on the other had. Took it forever to break ground, I had just about given up on it. Then, when it did, it slowly crept it's way up the string to about 4 feet tall. Then it stalled for about 3 weeks, didn't grow really at all. Then out of nowhere it took off like a bat out of hell. It's about 10 feet tall now. no cones, won't get a harvest from that one this year, but I'm confident I'll get something next year.

I'll try to take pics at some point over the next few days.

I'm planning on harvesting my first year cascade this weekend. Was surprised when I arrived home from vacation and saw cones all over. I didn't expect a yeild my first year. Its lookin like i might get a good 5 ounces wet (perhaps enough for a batch...maybe? please?)

My garden suffered pretty bad minus my cascade and my habanero peppers. Lost my tomatoes, string beans, cucumbers, squash, and bell peppers.

habanero beer anyone? heh. Will post pictures of my harvest this sunday.

Latest posts

Back