Convolute Your Own Copper IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Has anyone convoluted their own copper tubing? I am thinking of trying this...

1. Buy 25' of 3/8 or 1/2 copper coil.
2. Unroll 2-3 feet at a time.
3. Use two rubber strap wrenches to twist the tubing in opposite directions over the 2 feet to convolute the tubing.
4. Re-roll the now convoluted section and start on the next section.

I think this could work but wanted some other fabricator's opinions. This would be a cheap way to substantially increase my cooling power.

Give it a shot, maybe document with pics if it works you can do a wiki on it and be famous :D

I have seen where guys took and wrapped a solid copper wire around it soldering it ever couple feet to keep it in place.

If I had to guess, convoluted tubing is done during extrusion. I'd bet you'll just kink the hell out of it and ruin expensive tubing.

Even if you could do it, you're not going to notice any major improvement in cooling anyway. 3/8" tubing is small enough that the entire column of water gets thoroughly saturated with heat over the length of the chiller. At 1/2", you're getting closer to taking adantage of the turbulance, but still, not that big of a deal.

Interesting point Bobby.

Maybe I will try to find some scrap 1/2 tubing and try a small section first. I agree after thinking about it, the flow in a 3/8 pipe would definitely be turbulent with the flow rates I am pumping out of the tap. I'll see if I can make it work for the 1/2.

Why not take the 1/2 tube, unwind it, and then insert a piece of 12g wire inside to cause a little turbulence, then roll it up again?

That is a really good idea! I think I will try that. I should get to this project int he next month, by then I will hopefully be a member and able to post photos. I'll document the project and do some testing to see if it helps.

I'd only caution that some of the best coil work I've done (and I've made at least a dozen chillers) is when I haven't unrolled anything. It's a lot easier to slightly modify a coil's diameter than it is to start from a straight piece. You'll actually be hardening the copper with each uncoil/recoil and it will not want to cooperate. 1/2" is hard enough to bend already. I hate being the naysayer, but practice on a short piece before you commit to 50 feet.

Back