Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post, so be easy on me! I'm looking to do a kettle sour this spring and after some consideration I think I want to try a cotton candy kettle sour. I'm looking for recommendations on adding the cotton candy flavor. I'm not a fan of using flavored extracts so I'm wondering if there is a way to use actually cotton candy. I thought about trying to add a bunch to some boiling water to see if I can make a syrup out of it. Thoughts?

I know you said you're not a fan of using flavored extracts, but I have tasted a commercial beer that used Amoretti Cotton Candy Artisan Natural Extract. I'm not necessarily the biggest Amoretti fan, but this beer was convincing.

As for using real cotton candy, it would certainly melt just fine in water. but you'd probably need a lot of it, volume wise. Cotton candy is made from spun sugar and flavorings. Maybe seek out just the flavorings.

It would be expensive as all hell but wait til they are in season and use cotton candy grapes. Actually that’s a great idea. I’m going to try that next year.

I know you said you're not a fan of using flavored extracts, but I have tasted a commercial beer that used Amoretti Cotton Candy Artisan Natural Extract. I'm not necessarily the biggest Amoretti fan, but this beer was convincing.

As for using real cotton candy, it would certainly melt just fine in water. but you'd probably need a lot of it, volume wise. Cotton candy is made from spun sugar and flavorings. Maybe seek out just the flavorings.

Thank you for the input, I'll keep that in mind!

It would be expensive as all hell but wait til they are in season and use cotton candy grapes. Actually that’s a great idea. I’m going to try that next year.
That's not a bad idea at all, but you're right about the expensive part!

You could always go the route similar to making a Cotton Candy Martini. Have the SRM as low as possible and then have actual Cotton Candy in your glass that will dissolve with the beer and give it color, flavor and sweetness.

Just curious why you’re not the biggest fan of Amoretti? I’ve never used any of their products but I do have a bottle of the raspberry craft purée and a bottle of the blueberry craft purée ordered and on the way to me. I’m planning to use the raspberry one for a sour that I currently have fermenting. They seem to have very good reviews but I am definitely interested in your experience with them.

Just curious why you’re not the biggest fan of Amoretti? I’ve never used any of their products but I do have a bottle of the raspberry craft purée and a bottle of the blueberry craft purée ordered and on the way to me.

When you get them, check out the list of ingredients for these "purées." I'm not the biggest fan because I think the product names are misleading. That said, I think many of them are useful, if the brewer knows what they are doing.

When you get them, check out the list of ingredients for these "purées." I'm not the biggest fan because I think the product names are misleading. That said, I think many of them are useful, if the brewer knows what they are doing.
46600725-91C0-452C-8142-628DA0185A8E.png

I’m no expert by any means but it doesn’t look too crazy to me. Truth be told I’m going for simplicity here. I have a sour beer fermenting right now and I’m planning to add some of this directly to the fermenter once it’s finished...let it referment and then transfer to keg. We’ll see how it goes.

So they don’t have the actual fruit in them? Or too many additives? Or what? Curious here, thanks!

Edit: disregard, posted too soon! Three types of sugar before the real fruit, yikes. Might as well just use a natural flavoring.

So they don’t have the actual fruit in them? Or too many additives? Or what? Curious here, thanks!

Edit: disregard, posted too soon! Three types of sugar before the real fruit, yikes. Might as well just use a natural flavoring.
That was for the raspberry one...this is for the blueberry:

57DC6E4A-0680-4818-96C9-FD2E570A1D53.png

So it looks like blueberry is the second Ingredient here after water. Perhaps each one is slightly different in terms of their makeup.

I think that is the case. To me, a fruit purée should have one ingredient. But I suppose for labeling purposes "purée" doesn't have a strict legal definition.
Yeah, as I look at these a little closer they are definitely closer to a sugary extract type of flavoring with “some”’fruit. That being said the reviews are very positive in terms of how they taste and that my main concern right now.

Also these can be added anywhere from 5-15 fluid ounces per 5 gallons as opposed to something like 49 fluid ounces of the vintners harvest type purée. Seems easier and will prob result in less beer loss. Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread, but thanks for your input.

Yeah, as I look at these a little closer they are definitely closer to a sugary extract type of flavoring with “some”’fruit. That being said the reviews are very positive in terms of how they taste and that my main concern right now.

Also these can be added anywhere from 5-15 fluid ounces per 5 gallons as opposed to something like 49 fluid ounces of the vintners harvest type purée. Seems easier and will prob result in less beer loss. Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread, but thanks for your input.

Like @VikeMan said, different tool in the box. I wouldn’t use this with a mixed fermentation, but maybe it’s perfectly fine for a kettle sour or fruited IPA?

Latest posts

Back