Counterflow Chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danapellerin

Reaction score
For those of you with counterflow chillers. Do you send your wort through the chiller and then back to the kettle? Or do you send your wort through the chiller and then directly to the fermenter?

The reason I ask is; The first time I used this counterflow chiller, it just took way too long using the recirculation method. So the second time, I went straight to the fermenter which gave me 80 degree wort in about 10 minutes! The problem though is that it seems that my wort was a LOT more cloudy going straight into the fermenter, so I'm worried that I won't be able to fully clear it.

Anyone care to share their process and experience on which method they use?

I like my wort into the fermenter at the temp I’m fermenting at. Usually 64-68 degrees. In the cooler weather I can get that with one pass. Kettle to fermenter.
In the summer though, the ground water is a bit warmer so I have to recycle it back to the kettle for 10 mins or so.
Never had issues with cloudiness one way or the other. While recycling I just keep whirlpooling.

I recirculate mine to the kettle while I whirlpool for 10-15 min which usually drops my wort temp to 160-170. After I let everything settle I go straight to the fermenter which gets it under 70.

I recirculate mine to the kettle while I whirlpool for 10-15 min which usually drops my wort temp to 160-170. After I let everything settle I go straight to the fermenter which gets it under 70.

Hey so I assume you're able to get a good whirlpool going with that setup? I have an Exchilerator and a Chugger pump, and with all that tubing I couldn't get a decent whirlpool happening.

Hey so I assume you're able to get a good whirlpool going with that setup? I have an Exchilerator and a Chugger pump, and with all that tubing I couldn't get a decent whirlpool happening.
That is something I am working on, I was using a mark2 pump and the whirlpool was pretty minimal. It did fine for cooling the wort but not much as far as hop collection/separation. I just swapped to a chugger center inlet and the tests I did with water were hopeful. I also switched my whirlpool nozzle in the kettle to a veejet type nozzle to create a little more whirlpool pressure. If I still am not happy with the whirlpool I am planning to use 2 pumps one on the inlet of the chiller and one outlet to see if that helps. This is a fairly new process for me, I used to just whirlpool straight to the kettle then switch my 3 way valve to send through the chiller directly to fermenter but I was only able to get down to about 90* wort in the summer and It took forever. I decided to try this way to help cool the wort a little faster and to sanitize my chiller prior to transferring.

This is a fairly new process for me, I used to just whirlpool straight to the kettle then switch my 3 way valve to send through the chiller directly to fermenter but I was only able to get down to about 90* wort in the summer and It took forever. I decided to try this way to help cool the wort a little faster and to sanitize my chiller prior to transferring.

Thanks for the info. This is a pretty new process for me too so I'm figuring out the best way to do things with minimal hassle. I guess I'll have to wait until these two beers are done to see how well they clear.

Back