Crash cooling ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonetlumiere85

Reaction score
I noticed on the Briess website they have a number of ale recipes that all recommend crash cooling at 35 degrees for 3 days after fermentation is complete. What does this accomplish? Faster clearing? Cleaner flavor?

That should help with faster clearing. The cold will help to get some stuff out of suspension a bit quicker. Its basically causing chill haze to star and fall out at an increased rate.

So that would be a crash cool, before priming and bottling, right?

Does this help the clarity of all ales?

Follow-up question...

If you do cool the fermenter for a few days, would you remove it and allow it to rise back to room temperature prior to bottling? Will the yeast rouse from dormancy enough to bottle carb?

GreenwoodRover said:
So to clarify JP's question, after a crash cool for 3 days, is it advisable to allow the beer to come back up to room temp prior to racking and bottling?

...not at all ..I usually crash cool after 2 weeks in primary and bottle directly from crash cool..Than leave bottles at 70..the beer will come back up and the few yeasties in the bottle will do the work..

Jay

GreenwoodRover said:
So to clarify JP's question, after a crash cool for 3 days, is it advisable to allow the beer to come back up to room temp prior to racking and bottling?

I don't.................................just remember to adjust your priming sugar(down) as cool beer retains some CO2.

Since I keg mine, I do not let it warm back up. I keg it immedieatly to take advantage of the yeast cake being firmly solidified on the bottom of the bucket fermenter. I use a spigot on my buckets, so I first draw off a sample for the hydrometer jar. The first couple tablespoons have a bit of yeast in them, but the rest flows clear. Nice, cold, compact yeast cake.

I wouldn't reduce it by too much. Maybe go 4.5oz instead of 5oz. Another effect is that you bottle it cold, it warms back up and expands a bit so you're starting the carb process with a little more CO2 already in solution and a little more head pressure. It's likely minimal though.

Bobby_M said:
I wouldn't reduce it by too much. Maybe go 4.5oz instead of 5oz. Another effect is that you bottle it cold, it warms back up and expands a bit so you're starting the carb process with a little more CO2 already in solution and a little more head pressure. It's likely minimal though.

Cool Thanks!

BMW-LDB

What is the minimal recommended time to crash-cool? I have a DIPA I've had in secondary for close to 3 weeks now. Dry hops gave it a pretty thick haze.

Back