Critique this little emblem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Reaction score
Basically I'm trying to mimic the little Westmalle logo (A and W superimposed on a circle) to use on the labels for my Belgians. I'm using this as a way to learn GIMP. Well, I've figured out a fair few things about GIMP, but the image is still ugly.

You guys make a lot of pretty things - tell me what I need to change to make this pleasing to the eye.

It's GW, by the way, because we're the Greenwall Nanobrewery.

edit: how do I attach the GIMP .xcf file?

Greenwall icon.jpg

The peak in the w needs to come up. Spread the arms on the W out more and make it bolder. The G I would say needs to be a different font.

Based on Westmalle's logo, I'd make the G a bit smaller, and as stated earlier, spread the arms on the W out a bit as well Also, make it a litlle smaller so it fits inside the circle better.

Here's Westmalle for those not familiar.
wm_logo.jpg

+1 on a smaller G. definitely make the w fit inside the circle instead of terminating on it. All in all, nice 1st run.

How's this W? I just gave up all pretense and mimicked the Westmalle one as closely as I could in GIMP (btw: GIMP is supercool).
I incorporated your suggestions (thanks btw). I also picked a nicer shade of green.

I'm still struggling to find a G that looks good in the emblem. If any of you know of any fonts (or images) with an appropriate uppercase G, let me know.

If any of you want the .xcf let me know. It doesn't want to let me attach it, but I can send it to you.

Thanks again all.

-Kai

Emblem2.jpg

I've done something cool. I'm obviously going to turn this 'O' into a 'G', but what do you think of the intertwinedness?

Emblem3.jpg

I like it. Is there anyway to incorporate the points at the top of Westmalle's A, into the G as well?

I'm done with this for tonight. Here's what I've got so far. I think it might still be a bit awkward around where the G hooks in.

Brewtopia: thanks! I really admire your labels. I'm not sure precisely what you're suggesting, though.

Emblem4.jpg

I definitely like where you're going with this. Have you considered swooping the "point" of the 'W' up? I'm thinking something like two parabolas meeting. I mention this because the "point" is almost straight but the outer arms swoop.

Latest posts

Back