Crystal Clear or Murkey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salzar

Reaction score
Just stoping in to comment about how damn long its taking for my apfelwein is taking ferment. It is using 6 lb of honey,4.5gal of walmart juice(treetop?), and a WL heffe yeast. It started on 1/21 along with another batch to EdWort description. The standard batch finished clear, and is nearly drank, but as of today even after 2 months in a secondary, the heffe apfelwein is still translucent.

Should I bottle now or just keep waiting?

hefe yeast isn't supposed to clear(it's a trait of that yeast), so go ahead and bottle, you'd need a lot of cold conditioning to get that clear.

z987k is most likely right, since he is far more experienced then I, but I think another part of it is the honey. Meads and melomels, and cysers take longer to ferment then most other brews. This is true both for the actually fermentation and for the clearing. I say leave it in the for another month, just try to forget about it. If you are able, either you start to see it clearing and you can wait it out till its down, or worst case scenario is that you just bulk aged your brew another month, which would only improve the flavor.

The above answers are both correct. In fact, I have a regular Cider that I let ferment naturally that is not clear. It was started in October. About every month, the clarity moves down a few inches in the Carboy.

zoebisch01 said:
The above answers are both correct. In fact, I have a regular Cider that I let ferment naturally that is not clear. It was started in October. About every month, the clarity moves down a few inches in the Carboy.
I want to eat your avatar!!!!!

Back