Cyser fermentation suddenly stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigvaldi

Reaction score
I am new to fermenting and so, I maybe overreacting, but, as always, better safe than sorry. First some info on the batch in question:

I modified a turbo cider recipe to include some honey, making it, technically a cyser. The recipe contains: apple juice, cranberry cocktail, honey, tea (for tannin), yeast nutrient and spices (cinnoman, cloves, cardamom, ginger, black pepper) and was started using red star premier blanc yeast. The must is about 3.75 gallons. I am using a 5 gallon food grade bucket with an airtight lid with o-ring seal. I drilled a 1.5" hole in the lid then fixed a #10 drilled rubber stopper with s-airlock.

The first day I was worried about yeast activity because I was not seeing the activity I had seen from my first, one gallon batch of mead. However, I figured there was a lot of headspace and it would take time to build the pressure. The next morning I saw the airlock bubble about 1x/2s. Later that day, i saw several bubbles a second. This continued into day 3 along with the worlds most amazing smell (I looked for excuses to walk by that close. Lol). It is now day 4. I notice some positive pressure (the water in the airlock is all in the second chamber) but little to no bubbling (maybe once every 1-2 minutes). Is this something to be alarmed about or expected? Should I add more honey/sugar or some nutrients for the yeast?

The original recipe said you should notice bubbling for a couple weeks. I'm just worried because it was such a sharp decrease in activity. My best guess is that the yeast have used up all the oxygen and that this is the reason for a sudden drop in activity. But I want to make sure, so... any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

It may be nearing the end of fermentation. When the sugar gets converted to alcohol there's nothing left for the yeast to "eat". Only way to know for sure is to measure specific gravity with a hydrometer. They're cheap and every brewer needs one.

It may be nearing the end of fermentation. When the sugar gets converted to alcohol there's nothing left for the yeast to "eat". Only way to know for sure is to measure specific gravity with a hydrometer. They're cheap and every brewer needs one.
I kinda just jumped in headfirst so I havent got one yet. Lol. Its on the way though.

Would it happen that fast though? This is only day 4. I was expecting it to go on for a couple weeks at least. My first batch is almost a month old and i still see activity. I know every batch is different and that this is a turno cider, but it just feels TOO turbo. Lol

After reviewing several related threads and the words shared with me here, I am satisfied there are no issues ti worry about. Thanks for the help! Sorry to take up time. Newbie jitters. Lol

Back