De Ronde de van Vlaanderen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
De Ronde de van Vlaanderen is one of the European bike races, sort of like the Tour de France only instead of it being a month long event, its a single day race through the Belgian Flanders countryside. It just so happens that it goes through some of the best beer producing regions in the world, so when Alice and I decide that that was where we were gong for our vacation I sort of adopted that title in my mind as the title of our vacation. We got back on Sunday and here area few pictures of just want a wonderful trip it was. We decided a while ago that whenever we go to Europe in the future we would go by way of Iceland because we enjoy that particular country so much, so there are some Iceland pics in here also. Enjoy, and save your pennies. It's not as expensive as you might think, We got round trip air fare, including a five day stop in Iceland on the trip home for around $700 PP. You can't afford to stay home for that money.

All of this stuff made it home inside our suitcases. Of course, taking extra suitcases helped.

Take note of the three bottles in front. One bottle each of Westveltern 6, 8 and 12.

DSC_0560.jpg

And I managed to fit a little swag in there, too. Spent a freaking fortune on glasses.

DSC_0562.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

In Brussels, the Kwark was gimmicky but we were pretty thirsty after having gone without a beer for several hours. Gulped them down (kwark kwark kwark as the beer bubbles out of the bulb), then moved on to much better beers. Norm loved the Rochfort

DSC_0121.jpg

Alice feeling pretty happy at the Delerium Tremens Cafe.

DSC_0153.jpg

At the Halve Mann brewery in Brugge.

DSC_0196.jpg

The coolship on the top floor of the Halve Mann

DSC_0223.jpg

In search of the Holy Grail...

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

Number 12
DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

CSC_0044.jpg

At a cheese shop in the Dutch city of Gouda, home of guess what kind of cheese.
DSC_0047.jpg

Mort Subite Cafe in Brussels. The faro was incredible.

DSC_0076.jpg

The building with the golden horse on top is the Brewers Guild in Brussels.

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

Al and Norm having a beer at the Halve Mann.
DSC_0191.jpg

Puppy taking a nap in the window.
DSC_0276.jpg

PTN doing his part to move international relationships ahead by leaps and bounds.

DSC_0347.jpg

Europe%202012/DSC_0373.jpg[/IMG]At a flea market in the square of some town near Poppering. Picked up a lot of neat swag here.

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

Norm enjoying the Nuns beer. (He's such a ham with the ladies.)

DSC_0363.jpg

Hop fields near Poppering.

DSC_0367.jpg

We live in a culturally depraved wasteland. We have public celebrations like the 4th of July and serve Bud Lite out of plastic cups. In Roselare they celebrate May Day and serve Alexandre Rodenbach out of those same plastic cups. We serve hot dogs, they serve escargot. Cultural wasteland.

DSC_0375.jpg

paulthenurse

In the Red Light District in Amsterdam.

DSC_0415.jpg

You pretty much want to take a shower after walking down one of these alleys.
DSC_0420.jpg

Norm hanging out in the Red Light District.

DSC_0419.jpg

Normie's in love...

DSC_0425.jpg

Most surprising thing of the entire trip. Heineken Beer, fresh and on tap at the brewery in Amsterdam is REALLY freakin' good! I mean seriously good. Look at that lacing on the glass.

DSC_0475.jpg

What? No helmets, seat belts or car seats? Everyone gets around by bike in Holland. And apparently the lawyers all go hungry. It's all quite refreshing.

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

A beautiful spring day along a canal in Brugge.

DSC_0271.jpg

Me at the door to the St Sixtus Abbey. Oddly enough, they wouldn't open the door and let me in. Go figure.

DSC_0327.jpg

BUT... They are expanding. Since there probably aren't a whole lot of new monks and they don't need the bedrooms, I'm thinking they are expanding the brewery. At least I hope so.

DSC_0329.jpg

This one's for you, Cape. Me munching on the escargot.

DSC_0388.jpg

I liked this when I saw it, pretty close to the airport on the way back to Amsterdam. The new and the old.

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

"I think he said "Blessed are the cheesemakers..."

DSC_0046.jpg

Wow! That is like my dream vacation right there! I'm a huge cycling fan, to the point that even my cycling buddies think I'm a little nuts :eek: and my wife and I have been talking about planning our next trip to Europe to coincide with a race. This is one better!

Bravo, sir! :mug: And thanks for taking the time to share. :rockin:

We ALWAYS bring home suitcases full of the local offerings, wherever we go. My all time best was the 18 bottles of Port and 8 bottles of wine I managed to get in our suitcases coming home from Lisbon.

I did get caught with a 5 pound hunk of Italian Spec coming home from the Dolomites a bunch of years ago. I tortured myself by going into Boston's North End the following weekend to it selling for around $35/pound. I know that sure as God made little green apples that sockcucker at Customs was pissing himself laughing as he ate my Speck for the next month. Barstid.

PTN

Back