Dead furnace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed the house was getting a bit chilly. Checking the furnace, I discovered that it wasn't working. It's 26 years old and had failed about 3 years ago. This time it sounded like the gas valve/control. I decided to replace it, as the people who cleaned the ducting/furnace last Summer said the heat-exchanger was rusted.

I put an electric space heater in the living room/kitchen to keep the dogs warm. Amazingly enough the insulation upgrades and new windows meant a 1500 watt heater could keep a 700 sf room warm! Another heater keeps the office and bedroom cozy.

The usual fun and games to get estimates, but I settled on a Lennox 96%. It's 1/3 the physical size of the old furnace and 80% the input BTUs. It's got a two-stage burner, so most of the time it will be running at 1/3 the BTUs of the old furnace.

I managed to get the last installation for the year, 26 Dec. Hopefully, the temperature will remain above freezing until then. Our coldest month is January.

You have T shirt weather right now... Lol. Good luck with the install.

Replaced my oil burning furnace a few years ago. It was about 45 years old, but not too bad effiency. The new one's even better!
Congrats, and I'm sure you'll enjoy lower fuel costs!

My sixteen year old Lennox quit last January, just as the "Polar Vortex" descended upon us. Managed to keep the inside temp at 50°F or above by using two electric space heaters and keeping the gas oven set at 350°F with the door open to the first "notch." We were without heat for two full days. Good luck with the new furnace.

glenn514:mug:

What a pain in the ass. Good luck.

Both of my boiler pumps went out the week before I was going on vacation for thanksgiving. And that's after having the exhaust fan motor die in February.

I'm a bit paranoid about it now. I've replaced all the working parts on the system except the actual boiler unit in the last 3 years.

EDIT: I post about the boiler and the next morning the pump becomes air bound and I have to spend another 30 minutes bleeding the system.

How much you all think it would cost to get my current all electric heat pump replaced with gas heat? The current unit is quite old and I do not have gas service to the house yet, but think it is time for an upgrade (heating/ac seems to be 3/4 of the energy consumption of the house). Plus, if I do this I can upgrade to a gas fired on demand water heater. And maybe a gas stove/oven. And can plumb in NG into a future brew stand. My wallet is already crying.

Latest posts

Back