Decontaminate Regulator Possible ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncB

Reaction score
My first regulator at some stage I did the not uncommon wrong post carbonated keg and backed up into the regulator.

Ever since couldn't get above 21 psi on the dial and I used it on my spare cylinder for mobile duties, counter pressure filling, flushing kegs out etc.

Noticed recently looking into clear kegs that growth occurred on surface of the beer and also on some bottles counter pressure filled beer still tasting okay but I'm drinking it up rather than long terming it.

I think the regulator has nasties in it that I'm inoculating into my vessels.

Can regulators be taken apart and sterilised and reconditioned or shall I just get a new Mk IV to add to the collection?

I'm erring new and chuck the other one.

Last edited:
I cannot speak to all gas regulators we use with brewing but all of mine (Chudnow, Taprite and Micromatic) are fairly easy to break down. Indeed I can do a complete rebuild of a Chudnow regulator in under 15 minutes; the others are fancier and take a bit longer :) Typically you remove the pressure control knob then unscrew the "bonnet", which will expose the spring and diaphragm, and on some brand a retainer ring atop the diaphragm. Removal of the diaphragm is trivial assuming some jackass didn't glue it in place (never, ever necessary!) which then exposes the pin valve - these days, usually a replaceable cartridge.

Bottom line, dig up the rebuild information for your regulator which will often link to a procedure to follow. But they're all going to be pretty similar to the above. Once you have it parted out it's easy enough to do a thorough cleaning...

Cheers!

Back