Defer Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
I currently have a 10 gallon Pilsner bubbling away in the primary at 50*F. After the primary fermentation is finished, I would like to rack it in two cornys and use the fermenter and do another lager batch. The problem is, I only have the one freezer with temp. control. So my pilsner would have to sit around 50*F until my next batch is ready to be put in the secondaries. Then I would be able to drop the temp down and lager them.

Would I see anything detrimental to my Pilsner by having them sit in the secondary around 50*F for a couple weeks before I can drop the temp lower?

To lager means to store and originally that was done in caves around 55*f.

I think you'll be fine to have a conditioning happening for a couple weeks at 50*f. Anything colder gets you more toward a cold crash to force flocc stubborn yeast.

Do you need a diacetyl rest?

I'm not sure yet, I'm only 3 days into fermentation. I'm using Wyeast 2007. Anyone know if this produces much Diacetyl? I pitched the yeast with the wort at 50*

I'm not sure yet, I'm only 3 days into fermentation. I'm using Wyeast 2007. Anyone know if this produces much Diacetyl? I pitched the yeast with the wort at 50*

Taste it for a butter like taste.

This is from their website:
A classic American Pilsner strain, smooth, malty palate. Ferments dry and crisp.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 48-56F, 9-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Technical Information : Fermentation

Link: Wyeast Laboratories. Pilsen Lagerâ„¢ 2007

Yup, that's the plan :tank:

Here is the info you needed from the fermentation page from my last post:

• Lagers: 40°F - 60°F (4°C - 15°C). Some brewers allow the beer to increase in temperature to speed the diacetyl reduction. This increased temperature is usually only sustained for 24 to 48 hours.

I don't have the facilities to lager properly, but I brew a lot of lagers as my basement hovers in the low 50's for several months in the winter. My kegs just sit in the basement which in the summer is around 70 F. If I brew them early in the season I'll put them in the unheated garage. Some though get no cold treatment until they go into the serving fridge. I would say I don't see much improvement in flavor over the next month, but I do see an improvment in clarity. These are aged for at least two months though (6-7 for o'fests), just not at lagering temperatures.

Soon however, once the dorm fridges go on sale, (many stores still have lots of them for the returning students). I'm going to buy one and cannabilize it and install it in my insulated beer serving cart/fermentation chiller. Then I won't have to use ice any more, and would make lagering possible (4 kegs at a time).

I think your plan will work great the way you said. The only caviat is that you want to do that diacetyl rest (if necessary) before racking. Then, the most important thing is to get it off the trub, so racking to cornies is great. Sitting at 50 for a week or two won't do it harm, but it will be good to lager it properly after that.

One question I have that has recently become unclear to me. Can I do the diacetyl rest after fermentation is complete, or do I need to do it just before it completes?

It's better if it is before it finishes it up. However, as long as there is yeast present it should work - it will just take longer for the few remaining yeast to clear it up.

One question I have that has recently become unclear to me. Can I do the diacetyl rest after fermentation is complete, or do I need to do it just before it completes?

Definitely before. It would take a long time to get rid of diacetyl after fermentation is complete... and then, you might not get rid of all of it.

Back