Delete or backspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delete or Backspace

• Delete.

• Backspace.

• Whatever Nader uses.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Double-fingers on the backspace. I'm a messy typer, so I'm always hitting the delete key in rapid succession. I've had to toss keyboards where the "delete" key is regular-key sized, instead of double-sized so I can double-tap it with my index and middle fingers.

Here's a bigger question - does ANYONE actually use the "insert" button? I can't think of a single time when I have ever wanted to overwrite text instead of inserting new text (then deleting the old text). The goddamn num-lock key, too, when I have ALL of the arrow keys, page down, page up, etc. right next to the num-pad? I just want the num-pad to permantantly be a num-pad, I have never needed those damn keys for navigation.

A backspace man myself, but I am curious how this subject ever came up? I am trying to guess the train of thought that lead up to this and I am drawing a complete blank.

Well, you got me thinking anyway. Good to do it once in a while.

There is probably a setting in your computer's BIOS to set boot up NumLock status to True.

Insert? What is this MS-DOS? :)

Vermicous said:
A backspace man myself, but I am curious how this subject ever came up? I am trying to guess the train of thought that lead up to this and I am drawing a complete blank.

Well, you got me thinking anyway. Good to do it once in a while.

The idea was born from chaos.

Looks like Delete isn't fairing so well... Muwahaha!!

Heh, Dude, I've noticed that oyu one a lot lately.

As for me, I think I use both, and I never use insert, and I always have numlock on. The problem is the keyboard just has all these artifacts from previous eras. Rather than eliminate inefficient redundancies, they just keep adding more keys.

We should start a keyboard revolution! All the keys on the top row should be just symbols. In fact, you could leave the shift symbols the same, and add ten new symbols instead of numbers. Eliminate the numlock key, and remove all the duplicate uses for the keypad buttons. There are probably some other things that could be changed as well. Hehe, the capslock key should be removed, so that people that want to type in all caps have to at least hold down the shift key to do it.

Torchiest said:
Hehe, the capslock key should be removed, so that people that want to type in all caps have to at least hold down the shift key to do it.

... while receiving an electical shock. That's the kind of improvement *I* want to see... :D

I think, too, that every time you have to hit [cntl] [alt] [del], an electrical shock should be administered to Bill Gates. I like me administering some electrical shocks... :D

Del and backspace have different functions so they each have the appropriate uses. I use both all the time. I also use insert a lot. Any unix guys or programmers out there will probably be the same. I also use pause/break all the time and I bet except for any other programmers on the board I'm in the minority there. :)

If you really want to go crazy with the keys you need to use, try using Emacs.

Some older style keyboards had other stuff besides Control, Shift, etc. Things like Alt Gr, Hyper, and Meta. Emacs still refers to the PC keyboard's "Alt" as Meta. Sometimes a key combination could involve 4 or 5 keys. Never had to use the old "space cadet" keyboards myself, they're a little before my time. Once I remapped keys on a 101-key Model M to have some of these extra keys (replacing unused ones), but it wasn't by any means necessary.

bradsul said:
Del and backspace have different functions so they each have the appropriate uses. I use both all the time. I also use insert a lot. Any unix guys or programmers out there will probably be the same. I also use pause/break all the time and I bet except for any other programmers on the board I'm in the minority there. :)

Interesting. Even when I'm altering code, I highlight it, delete, and then type in the new code. Insert seems a little too, um, out of control for me. :p

Definitely backspace! Unless I click in the wrong spot and end up with the cursor before the error, then I'd of course use the delete key.

the_bird said:
Here's a bigger question - does ANYONE actually use the "insert" button? I can't think of a single time when I have ever wanted to overwrite text instead of inserting new text (then deleting the old text). The goddamn num-lock key, too, when I have ALL of the arrow keys, page down, page up, etc. right next to the num-pad? I just want the num-pad to permantantly be a num-pad, I have never needed those damn keys for navigation.

Insert comes in handy, especially for mainframes.

My question is what the hell is the scroll lock for?

bradsul said:

Yeup, I use both, depends on where the cursor is relative to the char(s) that I wish to delete.
Suppose it would normally be the backspace as the text I am typing is always to the left of the cursor.
Would only use delete if I was post-editing. In this case I would select the text and then press delete once. Much more accurate that way.
Damm, now I am thinking. May never be able to touchtype again. :p

Torchiest said:
Interesting. Even when I'm altering code, I highlight it, delete, and then type in the new code. Insert seems a little too, um, out of control for me. :p
I tend to use it when I have a block of almost identical lines that need to change. I copy and paste the number of lines I need after creating one and then use insert to update the other lines. Great time saver when I don't feel like writing a quick shell script (or there isn't enough to warrant it).

Also I use vi a ton. Though I'm ashamed to say my shortcut key kung-fu is lacking. :)

Good stuff. Nice to hear different schools of thought.
I wonder how it correlates to pirates and ninjas....

chillHayze said:
I wonder how it correlates to pirates and ninjas....

Oh no he didn't..... Ninjas obviously take it in the back space......

I normally use delete if I click on any thing to edit. Use backspace when quickly deleting a mistake. When drafting delete is the button of choice for comma GUESS WHAT comma deleting something.

Just wanted to throw some CAPS out there for you guys.

Also what do they put in place of the big backspace button?

Having started on a TTY with about 70 cylindrical keys, including the mysterious key with no label, I shift modes and OS's and programs so much I really can't keep track. Insert is a must use for remote programming. With my satellite DSL, I can get minutes ahead of the return.

I have several situations where delete and backspace are NOT the same thing.

I don't mind the number lock with modern keyboards. I had a laptop where the number pad was part of the qwerty area AND the little f)*(&)(r always came up locked, regardless of how the bios was set.

Torchiest said:
Heh, Dude, I've noticed that oyu one a lot lately.

He's talking about the 6th highest mountain in the world is all....:p

Torchiest said:
the capslock key should be removed, so that people that want to type in all caps have to at least hold down the shift key to do it.

Why the HELL did they put the damn capslock button by the letter "A" anyway? Im a self taught typer. I started out hunting and pecking, but now have developed a speed method of that style, and amaze some people who actually have typing skills, and they just shake their heads. But I have to watch the keyboard when I type, and so when I fat finger "A" and "CapsLock" by mistake, I dont notice the screw up until 5 lines or so later.

And I hate when someone at work uses my keyboard and hits "Insert." I hate that button!!!!!

Mostly backspace, but sometimes delete....

I'm an OK typer (spelling is a whole other thing) but those damn split keyboards really test me....you know, the keyboards that make it hard to "cheat" the correct typing style...

MA_Brewer said:
Mostly backspace, but sometimes delete....

I'm an OK typer (spelling is a whole other thing) but those damn split keyboards really test me....you know, the keyboards that make it hard to "cheat" the correct typing style...
I only use the split keyboards. Every machine I own has a Microsoft Natural. I bought one when they were first introduced and almost immediately went out and bought one for every machine I own. I wouldn't say they are to prevent cheating though; the idea is they have your wrists in a much more natural position to help ease prevent repetitive stress injuries. I don't know how effective they are in reality, but I know I feel MUCH more comfortable typing all day on a split keyboard than a standard one.

I can't even type on a standard keyboard anymore, my hands feel so crammed together that I feel like I'm hitting every key with a couple different fingers.

bradsul said:
I only use the split keyboards. Every machine I own has a Microsoft Natural. I bought one when they were first introduced and almost immediately went out and bought one for every machine I own. I wouldn't say they are to prevent cheating though; the idea is they have your wrists in a much more natural position to help ease prevent repetitive stress injuries. I don't know how effective they are in reality, but I know I feel MUCH more comfortable typing all day on a split keyboard than a standard one.

I can't even type on a standard keyboard anymore, my hands feel so crammed together that I feel like I'm hitting every key with a couple different fingers.

I am just about to buy one of these! Any recommendations to which model?

dibby33 said:
I am just about to buy one of these! Any recommendations to which model?

To be honest I'm not sure what is available now. I've had mine for many years and surprisingly none have broken so I'm still on all my original ones. I just have the standard Microsoft Natural model with no fancy buttons for media or anything like that.

I believe the current model has all the bells and whistles and a cat when it comes to extra buttons. I'm not sure if any other manufacturers have something similar, I'm sure MS has the design locked up in a patent.

bradsul said:
I only use the split keyboards. Every machine I own has a Microsoft Natural.

I can't stand using ergonomic split keyboards. But then again, I never learned to type properly. I have always just typed by using just my right hand, mainly because I'm right handed and got a TRS-80 when I was 5 and didn't know you were supposed to use both hands. I never "unlearned" the one-handed typing skill I built up over the years, and trying to type correctly feels extremely alien to me. I can type around 30 WPM, which isn't spectacular, but this is only using one hand. The fingers I use are my index and middle for most keys (also index on left shift), ring for keys too far to reach with my middle when I'm across the keyboard to the left, ring or pinky for right shift, and thumb for space. I usually hit enter with my middle finger.

Orpheus said:
My computer comes with a Chuck Norris button. You could only guess how much better it is than backspace or delete.

Nice. I am going to print a small picture out of wee Chuck and stick it on my delete key!

Sadly, I'm a one finger, hide-and -seek typist and sometimes I'd swear that my keyboard doesn't have all the letters on it. It takes me a long time to write anything. That's why my posts are so short.
Also, I'm pretty much a computer illiterate. :(

Back