Did I O2 my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I knew I'd do this at some point. I kegged a beer tonight and shook gas into the beer before storing. Yep, I forgot to purge the air before shaking.

I did purge the air a little bit prior to siphoning the beer into the keg, so hopefully the CO2 rose with the beer to the top. I had about an inch of space beneath the gas in tube.

Anybody have experience with this? Somebody has to have done this. Any off flavors, or is this too little air to worry about?

A couple of deep breaths and a beer will settle your nerves.;)
Let it carb and you'll never know the difference. I've done it for nearly every beer I've kegged (19 and counting, yes still a noob) and they have all been fine for myself and SWMBO.

Congrats on the newly kegged brew! :mug:

Good to hear! I've kegged a bunch of batches, but never managed this trick before. I assumed it would be fine, but was a little worried I'd have two weeks to drink it. I want this one around about 2 months from now.

Cheers:mug:

You probably ruined it, and the keg. You should send to me for disposal.

Actually, you probably ruined any beer and kegs in the immediate vicinity as well. . . I suppose I can get rid of them for you. ;)

Honestly you probably did expose it to enough oxygen to damage it. But not in any way that you will notice a great deal. My first kegged batch I didn't purge either and towards the end I noticed the effects of it. But I think mine lasted well over the two months that you hope to consume yours by. Oxidation takes a while to really make a beer nasty, you'll be OK.

Back