Difference between beer and wine fermentation tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borisav

Reaction score
Can someone please explain what is a difference between fermentation tanks used for beer and wine?
I other words, could wine fermentation tanks be used in the beer brewing process?

Thanks

Hey, thanks for the reply.

But how about the actual crafting of larger quantities?

I am currently working on a business plan for a micro brewery, and I was wondering if one could use the fermenter tanks used in wine making for beer brewing?

In other words, what is the difference between a 1000l beer fermentation tank and the wine fermentation tank of the same size?

Thanks

Typically, beer tanks are conical to allow for dumping trub and harvesting yeast. I don't think wine tanks are typically conical in shape.

I'm not really sure why as I am not a vintner. Maybe there's no trub in wine making? No need to reuse yeast?

Typically, beer tanks are conical to allow for dumping trub and harvesting yeast. I don't think wine tanks are typically conical in shape.

I'm not really sure why as I am not a vintner. Maybe there's no trub in wine making? No need to reuse yeast?

If you're making a white wine or cider, there isn't much trub/waste and wine makers usually don't reuse yeast because they are more stressed out at the higher abv. And if you're making wine from you're own grape harvest, you'd have to store it until next year.

Latest posts

Back