Direction on an Oatmeal Raisin Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucketnative

Reaction score
I had an oatmeal raisin stout by Crooked Current last time I was up in RI. I was looking to that for inspiration on creating an oatmeal raisin porter. I am trying to figure out the ratios of the three specialty malts. This would be for a 5-gal batch:

5 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb Pale ale (2 Row)
1 lb Flaked oats
0.5 lb Chocolate malt
0.5 lb Belgian biscuit
0.5 lb Special B

Mash at 156 F for 60 min

OG = 1.049
FG = 1.015 (From Brewer's Friend)

1 oz Fuggles at 60 min (19 IBU)

Yeast - Nottingham, Windsor, or S-04??? Any other?

Looks great! I've never had the stout in question, but if you're shooting for some residual sweetness:

I'd up the special B by 50-100% for more raisiny/dark toffee notes.

I'd toast my instant oats the day before brewing to intensify their flavor.

I'd go with wlp002, just my preference. Update with tasting notes!

I was thinking the same thing on the Special B... I remember my mother being shocked that there were no actual raisins in the brewery's recipe. I emailed them to see if I am on the right track for achieving the taste of theirs in a porter form.

Nice hint on toasting the oats.

I'll definitely post tasting notes in a few months when all is said and done.

IMO you are not going to get a quality balance of malt/hop you might percive there is not hops in your first sip. Maybe go to a 75 min boil.

I just saying

Why both Maris Otter and regular pale malt?
Mainly because my LHBS sells in 1 or 5 lb quantity, and I happen to have 1.5 lb pale malt on hand. So, I figured I would use it up here. After this I'll switch over to mostly kolsch and witbiers, so it's just to use it up.

IMO you are not going to get a quality balance of malt/hop you might percive there is not hops in your first sip. Maybe go to a 75 min boil.

I just saying

Or would it be better to just up hop qty to 30 IBU?

Mainly because my LHBS sells in 1 or 5 lb quantity, and I happen to have 1.5 lb pale malt on hand. So, I figured I would use it up here. After this I'll switch over to mostly kolsch and witbiers, so it's just to use it up.

Makes sense.

Or would it be better to just up hop qty to 30 IBU?

My suggestion would be to use 2oz fuggles at 45 minutes. I find this consistently gives a much smoother bittering, and according to beersmith only a few less IBUs. (Actually, with the gravity that low it might be a bit much...)

I had an oatmeal raisin stout by Crooked Current last time I was up in RI. I was looking to that for inspiration on creating an oatmeal raisin porter. I am trying to figure out the ratios of the three specialty malts. This would be for a 5-gal batch:

5 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb Pale ale (2 Row)
1 lb Flaked oats
0.5 lb Chocolate malt
0.5 lb Belgian biscuit
0.5 lb Special B

Mash at 156 F for 60 min

OG = 1.049
FG = 1.015 (From Brewer's Friend)

1 oz Fuggles at 60 min (19 IBU)

Yeast - Nottingham, Windsor, or S-04??? Any other?

I'm curious to know how this turned out?
Regards, GF.

I'm curious to know how this turned out?
Regards, GF.

It's been in the bottle for about 2 weeks now. I am currently suffering from a cold that has killed my senses of taste and smell, so I haven't tried it yet. But, I do plan on updating this thread with notes after it has been in the bottle for about a month. Thanks for the reminder.

I actually changed some stuff up. Actual recipe was as follows:
6.00 lb Maris Otter
1.25 lb Rolled Oats (ground to flour consistency)
1.00 lb Chocolate
0.75 lb Caraaroma
0.50 lb Biscuit

Mash at 156°F

2.0 oz Fuggles (3.8% AA) - 45 min

1/2 Tablet WhirlFloc - 10 min

Pitch WY1318

Fermented in a 63°F basement

OG = 1.046 (poor efficiency... still looking at this)
FG = 1.014

It had a raisiny note at bottling time, but that does not come through after one month in the bottle. Probably too much chocolate as that overpowers the other flavors. Probably cut that back to 0.8 oz. Overall, it's not bad, but there's room for improvement.

Latest posts

Back