DIY Brew Kettle out of a SS Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind going aluminum. The only thing with aluminum would be using all parts that don't require welding. However, I still need to find a build or guide to light the path :p

I just picked up a bayou ss pot, 62 qt but they have a range of sizes. Free 2 day shipping if you have amazon prime..., i think its free shipping without prime membership as well. I also bought a weldless spigot and pickuo tube from bargainfittings.com. Total price comes in around $150 for a 15.5 gal kettle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYUA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

htpp://www.bargaunfittings.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought myself a 40 quart/10 gallon commercial aluminum restaurant pot and just used weldless fittings on it. The walls are 1/4 inch thick and it is bomb proof! Since it is aluminum I was able to get a bigger size pot vs SS for the same price and I don't regret it. The extra size is worth it.

Cacaman said:
I wouldn't mind going aluminum. The only thing with aluminum would be using all parts that don't require welding. However, I still need to find a build or guide to light the path :p

Ah, right!

also, you live in texas so I'm sure you can find a flea Market somewhere. I picked up a 44 quart aluminum stock pot for $25. Makes an awesome brew kettle. You can also check out Mexican markets.

weldless fittings:
1. work great
2. easy to install
3. cost effective

Not sure what the hang up is there?

JimiGibbs - you won't regret the blichmann. My buddy bought one for our shared system - thought he was wasting money but boy was I wrong. We have hte 15G MT with false bottom. Works great, consistently.

CidahMastah said:
weldless fittings:
1. work great
2. easy to install
3. cost effective
Not sure what the hang up is there?
Well put. A couple washers and a ball valve.

also, you live in texas so I'm sure you can find a flea Market somewhere. I picked up a 44 quart aluminum stock pot for $25. Makes an awesome brew kettle. You can also check out Mexican markets.

Yup. Flea markets left and right around here. In fact, last week i found a 30qt aluminum pot with lid at H-E-B (grocery store) for $20. I'm a little reluctant on buying aluminum though, because my mom said she's burn't through some of those pots in the past with a simple stove during long boils, and considering the fact the I'm using a propane burner might make things worse (I don't know how true this is but why risk spending double in the long run?)

In addition to the weldless fittings, I want to slap a thermometer on there as well, if anyone knows where to get one at a reasonable price :mug:

I bought myself a 40 quart/10 gallon commercial aluminum restaurant pot and just used weldless fittings on it. The walls are 1/4 inch thick and it is bomb proof! Since it is aluminum I was able to get a bigger size pot vs SS for the same price and I don't regret it. The extra size is worth it.

Where did you get it? I live in Ottawa too and am looking for 3 pots about that size.

Russel Restaurant supply on Preston street. When I got mine the pot was around $85 and the lids are another $15 or so so I think it came to just over $110 with all taxes in.

Back