DIY fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for a fermentation chamber. Right now I use my small kegerator with a temp control. This works ok but I can only ferment one carboy, then wait, keg, carb, and drink. I'm trying to find ways so I can ferment a few brews at a time and use my kegerator strictly for drinking. I have a small closet that I was thinking possible insulate and somehow get the temp into the 60's but I live in Texas so that may be hard. I'm on a budget as my wife already thinks I spend enough on brew gear so another 250$-300$ on this would not go over well. Any ideas? How could I get my closet down in temp if needed

I'm looking for ideas for a fermentation chamber. Right now I use my small kegerator with a temp control. This works ok but I can only ferment one carboy, then wait, keg, carb, and drink. I'm trying to find ways so I can ferment a few brews at a time and use my kegerator strictly for drinking. I have a small closet that I was thinking possible insulate and somehow get the temp into the 60's but I live in Texas so that may be hard. I'm on a budget as my wife already thinks I spend enough on brew gear so another 250$-300$ on this would not go over well. Any ideas? How could I get my closet down in temp if needed

Look at some of the mini-fridge fermentation chamber builds on here. You use you existing kegerator as the cooling source. You can even turn the whole thing into a bar and annoy your wife even more.

on a budget, get a sheet of 2 inch pink or blue foam from the big box store and some duct tape. build a box that fits over the door opening (with door removed) of your kegerator (assuming it is mini fridge style). slightly more expensive would be to build the box out of plywood and put the insulation on the inside, this would allow you to attach the kegerator door to the side/end of the box, rather than having to pull it away from the kegerator, put the buckets/carboys inside, slide them back together and retape the seam.

i don't think tryingto insulate the entire clsoet would be a good use of money/time, but it's basically the same concept, instead of a foam box, you insulate the walls/celing/floors, and seal the kegerator to it somehow.

I would think using a dorm fridge would be your least expensive way of making a bigger fermentation chamber. These can easily be found on craigslist and are not terrible expensive. I am getting ready to tackle this endeavor myself. Here in this part of Texas (Coastal Area) I can only get 3/4" foam from the big box stores, so I will be doubling that up between sheet of OSB. Then if I want to make it nice on the outside, will use a 1/4" sheets of birch or oak plywood, or buy the closet pine paneling and glue it on like I did for my grain mill.

Depending on where you are in Texas, it might not be cost effective to cool a closet down and get it sealed off enough to keep it cool.

You can also check craigslist for a cheap refrigerator or chest freezer. Good luck on your decision though.

Peltier plates are not very effiecient and would not work very well for what you are trying to do....Unless you are up for a big challenge. They can only cool 10-15 degrees under ambient temps and only if they are designed correctly..

Insulate your closet and use either a window AC unit or your keg chamber (assuming you are using a mini fridge?) to bring temps down. Use some 2" ridgid insulation foam from your local hardware store. Many people have built enlarged chambers with mini fridges with good results as well.

I am about half-way done with my basement bar build. My ferm chamber and keg chamber were built with the 2" ridgid insulation and a window AC. works great. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/home-bar-keg-chamber-ferm-chamber-build-491701/

Swamp Cooler! Get a large bucket or trash can from home depot (usually ranges from 7-30 dollars). Fill with water over the where the beer sits in your fermentation bucket. Freeze bottles of water and add them in the water as necessary. This is probably the most ghetto method but certainly the cheapest with minimal extra gear. It takes a little attention…usually two to three frozen bottles keeps temp till you get off work later.

Back