DME and edibility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antoniost

Reaction score
I tried searching the forum, but it won't work with words less than three characters, i.e., DME. I already tried searching "extract edibility" and "extract cooking." So please forgive if this has been covered in another thread.

I'm looking to use DME in my post-workout shake. Without getting into too much exercise nutrition; maltose and the other simple sugars found in malt extract have a high glycemic index and will result in a spike in blood insulin levels when consumed in sufficient amounts. This is insulin spike and the sugars are good post-weight lifting, because it promotes growth hormone and quickly replenishes the glycogen reserves lost in muscles, respectively.

I could buy this http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=4076 but it's much costlier than DME. My question is, is DME "safe" to consume straight out of the bag in shake or as a sweetener?

I don't see why it would not be.. Try it and let us know how it is... But before my runs, I'll stick to my sport beans and GUu packs... I'll have beer after... :D

Wowza. I never thought about it before, but a lot of the supplements I have tried have a remarkably similar texture to weight gain powders. Incredible!!! I think you are seriously onto something.

Now we've just got to figure out how to up the protein.... :ban:

DME is the 'malt' in malted shakes. I occasionally add it to my morning cocoa. Lumps badly in cold fluids, so use a blender.

Trub is an excellent source of protein. It's very similar to the brewer's yeast you buy in 'health food' stores. Tastes like Vegemite.

Damn Squirrels said:
Wowza. I never thought about it before, but a lot of the supplements I have tried have a remarkably similar texture to weight gain powders. Incredible!!! I think you are seriously onto something.

Now we've just got to figure out how to up the protein.... :ban:

Yeah, most weight gainers are simple sugars (glucose, maltose, sucrose) or simple starches (maltodextrin) that convert very quickly in the body to those simple sugars.

I just use instantized whey as the protein source in my shake, since it's the quickest absorbed and most utilized form of protein.

antoniost said:
Yeah, most weight gainers are simple sugars (glucose, maltose, sucrose) or simple starches (maltodextrin) that convert very quickly in the body to those simple sugars.

I just use instantized whey as the protein source in my shake, since it's the quickest absorbed and most utilized form of protein.

When I was bulking up, I used whey protein as well... but it'd be nice to have a readily available alternative to the big$$$ powders

Damn Squirrels said:
When I was bulking up, I used whey protein as well... but it'd be nice to have a readily available alternative to the big$$$ powders

I'm a big fan of Optimum Nutrition's 100% Natural Whey Gold Standard. It has the highest percentage of whey protein isolate, which is considered the best form of whey. And when sweetened with DME it tastes great!

david_42 said:
Trub is an excellent source of protein. It's very similar to the brewer's yeast you buy in 'health food' stores. Tastes like Vegemite.

The fact you know what trub tastes like scares the bejesus out of me. The fact that it tastes like Vegemite makes me really damn happy I pour my trub down the sink!

as someone who's studied exercise nutrition, you'll be MUCH better off using dextrose/corn sugar.
the only difference in dextrose and malto-dextrin is the sweetness factor. dextrose is very sweet, malto-dextrin is not. and since you're likely putting 40-80grams of it into your Post workout shake, dextrose is gonna make it pretty damned sweet.

i think DME + whey is gonna taste aweful. I always just use dextrose, and more of a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs because I'm usually trying to shed bodyfat, and thus I limit carbs (I carb cycle during the week).

malkore said:
as someone who's studied exercise nutrition, you'll be MUCH better off using dextrose/corn sugar.
the only difference in dextrose and malto-dextrin is the sweetness factor. dextrose is very sweet, malto-dextrin is not. and since you're likely putting 40-80grams of it into your Post workout shake, dextrose is gonna make it pretty damned sweet.

i think DME + whey is gonna taste aweful. I always just use dextrose, and more of a 1:1 ratio of protein to carbs because I'm usually trying to shed bodyfat, and thus I limit carbs (I carb cycle during the week).

Yeah, I tried maltodextrin and whey. Not sweet at all. I tried glucose (dextrose/corn sugar) and whey, and it's extremely sweet. I know that maltose is half as sweet as glucose, so I thought DME would be a good compromise. Not to mention, DME has some other micronutrients that glucose and maltodextrin don't.

I also, use a 1:1 ratio in my post-workout shake. :mug:

FYI: the sweetness scale of simple sugars are as follows from sweetest to least: High Fructose Corn Syrup > Fructose > Sucrose > Galactose > Glucose > Maltose > Lactose

Speranza said:
The fact you know what trub tastes like scares the bejesus out of me. The fact that it tastes like Vegemite makes me really damn happy I pour my trub down the sink!

Vegemite pretty much is trub. :cross:

You obviously can eat or drink DME, it is a food grade product made from malted barley. It alone is about 10 - 12% barley protein. DME will be sweet but it is not like eating table sugar (sucrose) or drinking pop with high fructose corn syrup in it. Maltose, being about 65 - 75% of the sugar in DME is less sweet than either sucrose or fructose.

Now if you really want to make a great energy drink for post work out, go to the grocery and get yourself some MMP. It contains all the sugars and barley protein of DME as well as the proteins (casein and whey) of milk. MMP, not DME is the "malt" in malted shakes. MMP is made by combining LME and liquid milk and spray drying it. Oh yea, MMP stands for malted milk powder and it is used extensively in the nutritional drink industry. You can mix it with milk or sprinkle it on you ice cream.

I still like my malt with water and hops that has been fermented and aged (beer).

Dr Malt :mug:

I still like my malt with water and hops that has been fermented and aged (beer).

Dr Malt :mug:[/quote]

Me too!!:ban: :rockin: :fro:

Dr Malt said:
Now if you really want to make a great energy drink for post work out, go to the grocery and get yourself some MMP. It contains all the sugars and barley protein of DME as well as the proteins (casein and whey) of milk. MMP, not DME is the "malt" in malted shakes. MMP is made by combining LME and liquid milk and spray drying it.

The ideal post-workout drink has fast absorbing proteins and sugars. Did some research on MMP. MMP is not ideal because of the following: a) it has milk fat, and fats consumed with carbs (sugars) slow down their absorption. b) milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey, casein is very slow digesting because the low pH in the stomach causes the protein to gel

FYI, MMP contains malted wheat in addition to malted barley.

The question that needs to be asked is:

Can you brew a beer with those workout suppliments?

That would be an awesome beer to have after exercise!

Muss said:
The question that needs to be asked is:

Can you brew a beer with those workout suppliments?

That would be an awesome beer to have after exercise!

Was reading on Fark.com a few weeks ago about the dude who broke the world record time for the 50km treadmill run. The first thing he did after that was to sit down and have a beer :mug:

Speranza said:
Was reading on Fark.com a few weeks ago about the dude who broke the world record time for the 50km treadmill run. The first thing he did after that was to sit down and have a beer :mug:

He certainly earned it, nothing tastes better than beer after hard work.

Latest posts

Back