Do I need to calculate my sparge water exactly when batch sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBayBrewer31

SouthBayBrewer31
Reaction score
Does the mash tun need to run dry as I’m collecting my final runnings? Or, can I just overshoot my sparge water amounts and drain until I hit my pre boil volume?

I’m using a 10 gallon Home Depot cooler with a false bottom. Thanks

Sure you can do that, but you would be leaving some sugar behind in the left over water which would lower your efficiency. To some people, efficiency is very important; for me, not so much. I typically mash with 5 gallons of water regardless of the amount of grains I'm using. After I drain the mash tun and see how much wort I have, I add enough sparge water to get my pre-boil volume. Because the grain has already absorbed as much water as it can during the mash, I usually get all of the sparge water back. So, if I mash with 5 gallons of water and get 3.5 gallons of wort after mashing, I add 3 gallons of sparge water in order to end up with 6.5 gallons of pre-boil wort.

When batch sparging it doesn't take much to figure out the proper sparge volume. Since the grist is already saturated it won't absorb any more water. Just subtract the volume of the first runnings and dead space from the pre-boil volume.

When batch sparging it doesn't take much to figure out the proper sparge volume. Since the grist is already saturated it won't absorb any more water. Just subtract the volume of the first runnings and dead space from the pre-boil volume.

BobBailey thank you. I never thought of it that way.

The idea behind a fly sparge is that the sparge water sits on top of the grains and wort. As you drain (and add more water), it pushes the sweeter wort down and out and picks up more sugars as it passes through the grains, becoming ever weaker wort as you add water on top and it drains through. When you stop draining, you're typically leaving very low gravity wort in the MLT.

With a batch sparge, you're mixing all the sparge water together into one homogeneous mixture. Therefore, whatever you leave behind will likely hold more sugars than what you'd have with a fly sparge. As noted above, this will be a hit to your efficiency.

I calculate my mash and sparge volumes for a batch sparge to get as equal a runnings as possible. Experiments show that the closer to equal they are, the better the efficiency.

In general, efficiency isn't a big deal as you can add more grain to compensate. Where it can become a problem is with very high gravity beers. The reason is that, as the grain bill goes up (for any given volume of wort into the boil kettle) efficiency goes down. What can happen is that you add more grain, but this drops you efficiency, so you add even more grain, which further drops your efficiency (etc. etc.) and you can get to a point where you're just spinning your wheels.

If you want to brew high gravity, it's worth keeping track of your efficiency. If it's around 70 or higher (brewhouse) with a 1.060 OG beer, you'll be fine with the higher gravity beers. If it's down near 60 or lower, you'll probably have a hard time.

I use brew365.com to calculate my water. After you figure out your equipment (grain absorption, dead space, etc.), you'll be able to nail the strike volume and temp along with the sparge volume.

If you don’t want to bother measuring your sparge water, I would err on the low side...fully drain your MT, and if your are short in the brew kettle, sprinkle water over the grain and let it drain into your kettle until you have the proper volume.

Leaving runnings behind, even 2nd runnings will lower your efficiency.

If you don’t want to calculate before hand, measure your first runnings and subtract that from desired pre boil volume and you have your sparge volume.

If your looking for easy, you can sparge w room temp water w little to no downside.

Back