Does anyone use this kind of fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they look cool and might have some of those nice features, but aren't necessary. Those are essentially modified olive oil containers. I'm sure they work great if you have the money for them.

"Is the cost too prohibitive?"

Is this a serious question?

Uh...YEAH...the cost is pretty freaking outrageous.

Fermentation doesn't require the vessel to be air-tight, unless you're carbonating while you're fermenting. If you're not then you cannot have an air-tight vessel anyway.

The big lid is nice, but if I cared about that I'd ferment in a bucket.

Definitely cost prohibitive. It's hard to justify paying 200 bucks for something when a $7 ale pail will suffice.

I think its a lot more cost-effective to use converted cornies. You could make 4 gallon batches, or make 8 gallon batches and use two cornies.

Yeah - looks very nice, but really - when it comes right down to it, it is just a fermentation bucket. For the price of 2-3 of those, you have a lifetime supply of buckets and then some.

Would be a great gift for any brewer and would probably last forever if cared for right.

If they sold them blank, I'd buy one and have it engraved with my brewery name. I don't dig the logo printed on them, a little too mom+pops styled for me. That said I naturally prefer my gear pretty plain, across all of my hobbies.

What caught my eye earlier when Tx_Brew posted this site on fb, was the bottles and growlers. I wonder if their growlers would handle bottle conditioning?

Turns out they are DESIGNED to do-so. From the product listing: This growler is even designed to allow you to prime your home brew, so put this in your line of bottles and filler up!

there's a thread on here somewhere about a type of material you can coat your carboy in that will make it much less likely to break. And if it does it won't shatter, just crack.
I think $190 for that fermenter is outrageous.

I was looking at this as a potential one pot brew day. You could BIAB mash, boil, chill (no chill brewing?) and ferment all in the same pot. Good for sanitation, and very convenient. I need to think more on the chilling aspect though... either no chill brewing or get a pump and plate chiller as my immersion chiller isn't fitting though the neck.

It would be really convenient for backwoods/ camping/ hunting cabin brewing. Boil, chill, ferment, carbonate in a single vessel? Worth $200 for campfire beer but won't find a home in my regular brew house.

I like it. Given cost is no object I would have a conical. I currently use sankes to ferment in, but don't like the small hole and lack of access to viewing and scrubbing. I am looking at altering my keg to fix these, but if an 15-18 gallon version of one of these was available for around $300 I would consider it as it would cost a little more but save me the effort of designing and sourcing the parts. I also like it because it is shiny.

Back