Does it matter which way I hook up this plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a number of these Weyee plate chillers (from PicoBrew), which I intend to use for (duh) wort chilling with my newly functional Zymatic. Any idea if it matters which pair of ports I run the water through and which I run the wort through?

MYQCP%BkTXGhS+TMkCisdA.jpgyYSUAbh7Q0WtSL%rk+E%lQ.jpg

I doesnt look like there is a difference on that one. As long as you determine the input and output I dont think it matters. Once you choose I would leave it for each brew I wouldnt switch keep the water and wort consistent and you are good.

Cool. That's what I'm guessing, but this plate chiller thing is all new to me. Been out of the game for...um...way too long.

There's always an optimum setup - that's the one that has the cooling water - not wort - running in the outside channels...

Cheers!

Not sure, looking at this thing, if there are outside vs inside channels. I would guess alternating layers? Don't really know how this thing is put together internally.

They are called plate chillers because they're essentially a stack of plates, connected to the in and out ports, forming flat thin channels for the water and wort to flow in opposite directions. The outside pair of plates on each side form the two outermost channels, and those you want to have water running through, which would then put the outermost wort channels under those two outside cooling channels. From there working to the center the channels simply alternate between wort and water on both sides.

You should be able to figure out which pair of ports are connected to the outside channels by running some hot water through one set. If the outside plates immediately get hot, you've found the cooling ports. If not, you're hooked up to the wort ports...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back