Does pectic enzyme work after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
I bought some of this stuff because I thought it might help clear my peach blonde in tertiary but the ingredients indicate it's supposed to be added before fermentation starts. Is it useless for this batch then?

I've added it to fruit meads (melomels) during secondary fermentation and into the clearing carboy, but fermentation of meads takes a lot longer. My guess is as long as its still fermenting, it should be ok.

Give it a try anyway. Most likely it will help at least a little. Whats the worst that will happen? You'll end up with the same hazy (which has no affect on flavor anyway) beer and lose 50 cents at best. Go for it!

One thing it won't do though is take away any chill haze from protein already from the malt, so don't feel that it was useless if you still see some chill haze. The enzyme will only go after the pectin from the fruit.

I've only used the enzyme once or twice on my peach beer, but I dropped it in while i was warming the peaches up before putting them in the secondary. It does a pretty decent job but the hazy beers are just as good. To tell the truth the hazier ones reminded friends that I had actually put peaches in the beer rather than some chemical for peach flavor.

Cheers and enjoy the beer, i'm sure it will be great!

paranode said:
I bought some of this stuff because I thought it might help clear my peach blonde in tertiary but the ingredients indicate it's supposed to be added before fermentation starts. Is it useless for this batch then?

Cold-crash it! Set it in the fridge for a few days/week and that should clear it. If you still think it needs additional clearing. Mix (really beat it) up some unflavored-geletin in 1/2 cup hot water and dump that into you cold beer. Again, let sit for a couple of days in the fridge and is should be crystal clear with no chill haze.

Hmm I wish I could cold crash it but I don't think I have room in my fridge. :(

I guess I'll throw the stuff in there and see if it does anything. I'm not too worried about haze I guess anyway.

paranode said:
Hmm I wish I could cold crash it but I don't think I have room in my fridge. :(

I guess I'll throw the stuff in there and see if it does anything. I'm not too worried about haze I guess anyway.

Whaddya got in the fridge that's more important than beer?:) Where are your priorities?

If you can't cold crash in a fridge ... try putting the fermention vessle in an ice bath (coolers work great).

Back