Doughed in at 7:15, going to be a kind of late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Well its rainy, cold, and wet here in Ann Arbor tonight, but its been so long since I've brewed, I decided to say screw it and dough in. I pulled a Porter off the kegerator and I'm mashing indoors to stay dry, so we'll see how the boil goes. I'm doing the Bass Ale clone from BYO a couple months back. I'm pretty excited. I want to get a good Guinness Clone done for winter as well so I can serve Black and Tans, mmmmmmm.

I'm just excited to be brewing, its been so long. I don't even care that I missed my mash temp. (I really think I need to invest in a new thermometer anyways, I've never really trusted this one, its one of those really small dial/meat thermometers).

Anyways, enough rambling (maybe a mod will move it to drunken ramblings), I just wanted to share my excitement.

Matt

I'd be tempted to let the mash sit over-night & boil in the morning, but I'm not a night person.

Don't do like [name withheld, you know who you are] and forget to pitch the yeast.

So, how's it going so far? Oughta be about near the end of the boil by now, I should think. Should'nt really be THAT late a night, I guess. Er, eh,....don't forget to pitch the yeast :D

Hey there,

It went pretty smooth today. I actually started heating my first runnings while I let the grain bed set during my batch sparge. Hit the OG right on the nose. Yeast was pitched, but the lid of my bucket hadn't sealed all the way, so there was no airlock activity this morning, but I sealed it and am now at work. Waiting to go home and see what happened. I put my burner on my patio once the boil got going and then I just stood inside and watched to make sure there were no problems. If I do things that way I may even be able to keep doing all grain all winter long!!

I'll let you know in about a month how it comes out,

Matt

Being able to start heating the first runnings right away, is one of the reasons I batch sparge. It probably cuts an hour off of the brewing time. By the time I add the third run (which is almost always small), I'm almost at a boil.

If you keep AG all winter long, I'll have no one to compare notes with for my mini-mash set up.

Excited to compare notes (read 'beers') at Thanksgiving, and maybe even some semi-young apfelwein if my better bottle gets here soon enough.

Any airlock activity yet?

Latest posts

Back